[Reader-list] Lifting the veil

shveta shveta at sarai.net
Sat May 1 09:13:49 IST 2004

Dear All,

Hello :)

This is a slightly ambling posting, inspired by many conversations and
questions regarding the stifling quality of the ghoonghat (veil), and also by
the short debate on the list about the lack of safety for women on Delhi
roads because of their attire (and of course, the media).

best
shveta

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

01-05-04
Saturday

In the 'World Notes' section of the International Page of Indian Express,
today, is a small news story:

	France tightens headscarf norms

	Paris: France tightened proposed guidelines for a ban of religious
	headwear in state schools on Friday... The new, shorter draft by
	Education Minister Francois Fillon includes a revised clause forbidding
	pupils from citing religious grounds for refusing to remove an item of
	headwear.

I had lost track of this story many weeks ago, following extensive reporting,
and editorials, which (as I recall) debated whether this was a "secular"
move; whether it would protect through hiding religious identity, or if it
reveals a certain State intolerance to "minority" religions.

Just a day before, on April 30 (Indian Express), was another news item, from
Srinagar:

	Photo-op cuts a sorry picture
	Voter whose veil Mehbooba lifted says: My family and I
	are now at risk

	The image of PDP president Mehbooba Mufti lifting the veil off a voter
	in a polling booth in Srinagar on April 26 was broadcast on TV as a
	"courageous step" to detect fraud in the elections. That may backfire.

	For, that voter was a genuine voter, Shabnum of Malteng locality of
	Sonwar... But that's not the only reason she has to complain. She says,
	"By lifitng my veil, she has put me and my family's life to risk. Do you
	know what it means to cast a vote in Kashmir."

Of course, the image of the lifting of the veil would have found its courage
and media appeal in the symbolic nature of the gesture. It "reveals" not only
a face, a voter's identity, but also the progressive stance of the
politician. The steps in both cases are supposed to be "bold" because the
hijaab, the ghoonghat, the pagdi, the scarf, are not only religious, and
therefore regressive symbols (when its opposite is secular/progressive), in
both cases they are also supposed to be connected with identity (religious in
the first and voter's, or legitimate, ennumerated state subject in the
latter). And it presents a liberal stance of the State/politician, even in
its metaphorical resonances.

The opposition from the "minorities" against the French law and the lone
dissenting voice of Shabnum, however, cut short the jubilation : The veil is
also a note of dissent, it is also a tactical move.

And, below is a text from a friend: The veil is also a playful provocation, a
potential tool.

Joy and Fire in the Veil
by Yashoda

On 9th June, passing through the lanes of Dakshin Puri, I thought of a
mischief. I said to Shahana, "I feel like covering my face with a veil while
walking." It's something that women are sometimes forced to do. Fixing my
dupatta, I covered my head with a long veil. Now no one could see my face.
But I could see everyone easily. Shahana was wearing pants and t-shirt. And I
was wearing a stylish pirlal jiski moriya bhi bahut chodi thi aaor niche
paayhon par kadai hui thi.

We walked on, lost in our own worlds, towards the road outside. Some women
sitting in the lanes were looking at us, with great interest. They had not
paid so much attention to us before, ever! I thought to myself that we had
done some strange deed. We reached the bus stop outside, chatting with one
another. And then we took an RTV bus.

But my veil was just as I had wanted it to be. I had not let the veil slip up
or down. Both of us sat down on the long seat in the RTV. There were more men
than women in the RTV. I think there were just two to three women. I was the
centre of everyone's attention. No one could see me, but I was looking at
everyone with great attention.

Their eyes were filled with curiosity. They were looking for something. Maybe
my face, which had got lost in the darkness of the grey cotton dupatta. This
might not have been possible if I had got on the bus without a veil.

Two men were sitting right in front of me. They must have been 25-26 years
old. They would turn their heads from one side to another, and then start
looking at me. They were also looking at my hands and feet with surprise.
There was a strange restlessness in them. But for me, this was fun. In it was
nothing else but playful abandon.

And an unnamed happiness that was filling up inside me.

We got off at our stop, that is Pushpa Vihar. The looks of people in the bus
were still following us with the desire to see an unknown, unfamiliar object.
After two minutes, the bus moved on.

After the bus left, I removed my veil. And, looking at Shahana, I started to
laugh. I said, "This is so much fun!"

There is a different happiness in playing with strangers.

I thought to myself, "I definitely must have given the people sitting in the
bus something ot the other to think about:
Is she married, or not?
So modern, and yet why had she covered her face?
No bangles on the wrist, no ring in the toes, then why a veil?
Maybe she has an ugly mark on her face?
Such beautiful hands and feet! How must her face be?

I had so much fun today! Because I thought of nothing new today but compelled
others to think. Through my being, I raised questions in their minds, and
left them to find the answers themselves. Anyway, that is what I am thinking.
It's possible they didn't think anything at all!

At home I drank cold water. And thinking of all this, I kept smiling to
myself. Seeing me smile my sister Laxmi asked, "What happened? Why are you
smiling to yourself?" I told Laxmi the whole story. I was certain she would
laugh. But instead of laughing, she started looking carefully at me. And
said, "So this is a joke? But this joke could set flame to people's houses."

I asked, "Why?" I was surprised to hear what she had said. Looking at me, she
said, "It's not necessary all of them were bachelors. Some of them must be
married. Now some of their wives probably cover their faces, and some must
argue about having to cover their faces. Won't the men who have differences
with their wives over this tell them, 'When a modern woman, who moves around
outside her house can cover her face, why can't you cover yours when you are
inside the house?' At this, the wives will say, 'When you travel by bus, do
you stare at other peoples' wives?' The men will remain stubborn about their
point, and you will be present in the houses even in your absence."

I looked at her with rapt attention and said, "But why will that happen?"
Picking up the tumblers, she said, "But what if it happens?"
She went off to the other room to wash utensils.

The matter was not so big, but now I was feeling guilty. I felt as if a mole
had turned into a mountain. For me it was just a funny joke.

A joke I had uttered, but not thought about how it would mark others...