[Reader-list] Fourth Research Posting

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 21:18:49 IST 2004

Fourth Independent Research Posting

To me, as an observer, trains are very entertaining. But they can be quite
an ordeal for people who have to go through the motions (!) daily. In the
last one week, there are aspects about train travel which I am suddenly
discovering from commuters who travel daily by trains. Interviews with them
have revealed that there are old facets about train life which are dying and
new facets are emerging owing to the changing work culture. Unlike the past,
today there are no fixed timings to leave office in the evenings and hence,
train groups for evenings are gradually diminishing. Women have different
perceptions of safety when it comes to traveling by trains. The three
persons I have spoken to thus far clearly state that it is a courageous act
to enter the general compartment all alone – all of them mentioned that they
have entered the general compartment only when they were in groups.

The interviews I have conducted thus far have led me to dig deeper into the
culture of “train groups” and “train friends” which regular women commuters
have in the mornings. I am currently trying to talk to members of such
groups about their experiences of train travel and how do they perceive the
space provided by trains. I have been combining my experiences and
observations of Mumbai city in the general with the current research and am
integrating the writings and experiences into this research.

Currently, I have held interviews with people I know, who, regularly travel
by trains. I have also scheduled interviews with architects, urban planners,
women activists, and advertising agencies (who put up hoardings inside the
trains). I have also started looking up the web for information on New York
Subways. There are experiments with train design being carried out in IIT.
If anyone on this list has contacts with students/faculty in IIT, please let
me know so that I can touch base with the concerned persons.

Please feel free to circulate my postings to people who you think may be
interested in the topic. It helps to receive more and more feedback. I have
a list of questions for readers on this list and for people who you think
will be interested. You can respond to me directly:

1). What happens in cities where there are no trains, or which do not have a
well-developed system of public transport?
2). What does public transport do to the city life? What is its role in the
flow of information through the city and in the city’s ability to
self-organize?
3). What is happening or would happen to Delhi life with the Metro Rail
System being introduced in Delhi?
4). What is the experience of people from Kolkatta when it comes to trains
and the metro system? What influence do these systems have on the women in
this city?
5). Does public transport contribute positively to a woman’s experience of
freedom? Does it open her mind to new possibilities and play a role in
affecting stereotypes?

Here is a list of rules of conduct which the New York Subway system has for
its commuters.

Rules of Conduct
MTA New York City Transit subway and bus rules make everyone’s ride better.
Failure to pay the fare or violation of any of the rules can result in
arrest, fine, and/or ejection.

Please do not:

·	Damage subway or bus property that includes drawing graffiti, or
scratchiti
·	Litter or create unsanitary conditions
·	Smoke anywhere on NYC Transit property
·	Drink alcoholic beverages
·	Panhandle or beg
·	Play a radio audible to others
·	Use amplified devices on platforms
·	Use more than one seat
·	Block free movement
·	Lie down
·	Engage in unauthorized commercial activity
·	Enter tracks, tunnels, or non-public areas
·	Carry open bulky items likely to cause inconvenience

All of the above rules are conveniently violated in the Mumbai Local Trains.
A rule such as “Do not block free movement” does not naturally apply to
local trains because there is no choice of free movement owing to the
burgeoning crowds. Lying down is a common activity among the unorganized
sector and the fisherwomen who travel by trains. Sitting on the train floors
and especially by the doors is common with women wanting to relax their feet
and have some space to themselves. Even women from ‘sophisticated’ classes
lie down when space permits inside the trains. Graffiti and especially
scratchiti are very much a part of commuting life. I do not know whether one
should label these as bad things to do in a train! Is graffiti a positive
contribution to a city? Audio is a part of local train life – it is provided
simultaneously by passengers, vendors, bhajan singers, and all and sundry.

As a fourth research posting, I am attaching a copy of my interview with
Trupti Nayak, currently an HRD Manager, who taught me how to travel by
trains in Mumbai when I was in college.

Please keep the questions, comments and feedback coming. I am open to the
idea of doing web interviews with people who are interested in sharing train
experiences.

Starting from 15th May, I am traveling to cities of Bangalore, Srinagar,
Delhi and Kolkatta. It will be a pleasure to meet with and talk to people on
this list based in these cities regarding their experiences in their city
and on the above questions.

-	Zainab Bawa
-	For communication, email zainabbawa at yahoo.com