[Reader-list] Join the DCM (Doc-Centre Meet) List

KITAB MAHAL administrator at kitabmahal.org
Wed May 5 23:13:38 IST 2004

Dear All:

Last month, many of us had a meeting in Mumbai, in which we discussed
shared concerns between doc-centres, libraries, and institutes engaged
in documentation and archiving. This meeting was called in recognition
of the need for smaller voluntary and non-profit centres to exchange
support and advice on the increasingly complex demands of creating and
maintaining large databases, collections and archives of various kinds.
In earlier DCMs (Documentation Centre Meetings) -- which took place
regularly for over a decade -- documentalists and archivists used to
meet to exchange skills, experience and advice, and network with other
peers and resource persons. We decided in our meeting that this network
needs to be revived and expanded, to collectively confront new
challenges in the practices of documentation and the politics of
information.

With the increasing use of the Internet, while many organisations want
to take their information online, the technical and infrastructural
demands are often too complex and expensive, and their choices are
unclear with regard to proprietary or open source software, trained
staff and reliable service providers. Similarly, legal dilemmas with
regard to access, copyright, and distribution of public collections are
unclear to many groups that cannot afford costly professional advice.
Finally, many organisations are now interested in new means of online
dissemination to students, activists, and researchers through shared
standards and tools that allow for networking and collaboration over
the Internet between centres, while retaining their identity and
autonomy.

We have set up a mailing list has been set up to discuss these
concerns, and also facilitate planning for the next DCM (Doc-Centre
Meet). This list is meant for previous members of the DCM network, and
other archivists, documentalists, and organisations working with
information. Instructions on how to join to this list and manage your
subscription are contained in a system-generated mail which you will
receive shortly. You can also visit the list page at
http://lists.kitabmahal.org/mailman/listinfo/dcm/

Please note that this mailing list is NOT for forwards, general
announcements, or postings unrelated to issues of documentation and
archiving. This list is moderated by John D'Souza of CED and Shekhar
Krishnan of CRIT, who will reject postings unrelated to these concerns,
to help avoid floods and bombardment. We look forward to your
participation, and please e-mail <administrator at kitabmahal.org> with
contact information for other people whom we should invite to join this
list.

Regards,

John D'Souza
CED (Centre for Education and Documentation), Mumbai and Bangalore
http://www.doccentre.org

Shekhar Krishnan and Ashish Rajadhyaksha
CRIT (Collective Research Initiatives Trust), Mumbai
http://www.kitabmahal.org

Sunil Abraham
MAHITI, Bangalore
http://www.mahiti.org