[Reader-list] Thanks Shivam

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 15:33:32 IST 2004

Dear Shivam,
Thanks for writing in with such great detail. I had some valuable insights
through what you had written, particularly the bit on how the India Shine/
Feel Good Factor Campaign of the BJP govt. acts on people who are now
traveling in metros, a luxury they would have only dreamt of at some point
in their lives. In fact, we were having a discussion yesterday where a
friend pointed out how governments invest in the urban areas/cities because
that's where the evaluation/assessment of the government takes place.
Someone had once mentioned in a gather that in Mumbai, building more and
more flyovers ensures re-election of the government, that's why the success
of Shiv Sena and now the NCP government continuing on the same lines (or
roads should I say?).
I have never traveled on the Delhi metro, but what I have often heard from
Delhiites is that the metro is nothing but "an eye-wash". They don't see it
making a dramatic difference to Delhi and to the lives of the people. My
interest in the Delhi metro emerged from the fact that perhaps, it would end
up being some sort of an interactional space because I, as an outsider, have
often perceived Delhi to be a cold city, a city where I am constantly
watched and judged for my possessions, status, position in society. Bombay
has always given me an egalitarian feel and I attribute this, in large
measure, to the trains and buses, in which the rich and the poor travel
together. The other day, someone who is not a Mumbaiite was talking to me
saying, "What amazes me is that girls go for discoes in slinky and chic
outfits and they travel back home on local trains. This is unimaginable to
me." To me, as a Mumbaiite, this is perfectly imaginable. In fact, when I
have had to return late nights, I prefer taking a bus rather than a taxi.
The fact of being in the midst of people gives me a sense of security, and
perhaps to a lot of women and people. I have traveled on the Kolkatta trains
and metro when I was there briefly last year. Kolkatta gave me a comfortable
feeling, like I get when I am in Mumbai. But in Delhi, I feel a bit
handicapped because of a poor public transport system, though I must say
that some of my friends have been saying that the bus services have improved
quite a bit in Delhi. Again, the structure of the city is radial, while my
worldview has been linear living in Mumbai all my life.
My fascination with Mumbai trains is because of the amount of information
that flows through trains. There are inputs to the worldview through chats
and conversations; the presence of women from diverse castes, classes,
religions, traveling together is in itself a flow of information. The sale
of goods, each one of them novel to me (I have been collecting some of them
as an archive!), gives me ideas about technology. Of course, I have realized
that such a good transport system can also be a comfort zone. I crib when I
am in other cities, both in India and in other parts of the world where cars
are the main means of getting around to places or where public transport is
poor and expensive.
The other interesting bit that I have found is that trains introduce a sense
of structure and comfort in the life of the Mumbaiite. One of my
interviewees had said that she likes train travel because it is structured
and defined; in her words, "You know that after Borivali station there is
Kandivali and then Malad." This made me wonder whether what people want
today is greater predictability in their lives given that we are leading
uncertain and insecure lives (no secure jobs, a volatile financial market,
new innovations). I wonder whether trains give women a sense of control over
their lives.
I am not a feminist. But my interest is in envisioning spaces where women
can interact, meet, exchange information, have unconditional urban spaces,
because having a larger worldview is especially important for women, given
that increasingly, fundamentalist movements and political campaigns are
trying to reach out, influence and condition women's minds. Further,
children of tomorrow will learn from the women of today because women spend
more time with the children and for the child, the mother is usually the
first reference point. It scares me to think of rigid and authoritarian
mothers - we would have pathological children!!!
Sorry for the deviation.
Thanks once again for writing in. Keep the comments, suggestions and
questions coming in.
Regards,
Zainab