[Reader-list] third posting from indira

Indira Biswas indirabiswas at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 11:36:51 IST 2004

Hello,
I am rather late in sending my 3rd posting. In fact, last few weeks I was
too busy looking for my research materials in the National Archives and the
AIR library of Delhi. In both the places I got plenty of documents related
to my research and was overwhelmed by the co-operation of the respective
officers. In the AIR library, I found the Indian Listener radio magazine of
several years (Since 1936) along with other radio journals in regional
languages. I am not sure whether the earlier issues of the same (1927 – ’35)
are available or not. The journals are just lying in the dusty racks. It
seems I was the only reader who wanted to consult those books! Some books
tied in ropes were beyond my reach in the tall racks. I would like to
explore this library again during my next visit to Delhi.

The vernacular programme division of the Calcutta Radio Station was in the
hands of few enthusiastic Bengali youths without any prior training and
experience of broadcasting. They gained experience of the new media only
while working for it. This situation changed gradually when the British
government began to tighten its control over the media since the pre war
period and the first controller of broadcasting Lionel Fielden (1935 – 1940)
laid down some general rules regarding broadcasting of programmes and
selection of programme assistants. For example, Fielden’s decision
prohibiting ‘the rise of clerks who knew nothing about broadcasting’ marked
fundamental changes in the employment structure of the CRS. People, who were
the heart and soul of the CRS were sidelined and new group of AIR officials
came up.

The reading of day-to-day programmes of the CRS reveals many interesting
points. It shows that the programmes of the Calcutta Radio Station was
planned to satisfy a heterogeneous audience. For example, in the year 1939,
while on Saturday nights ‘Dance Music’ was relayed from the Grand Hotel
Prince’s Ballroom staged by the Grand Hotel Dance Orchestra or from Firpo’s
restaurant performed by Francisco Casanevas and his Spanish Orchestra,
Assamese play was broadcast in the short wave for the Assamese speaking
people.

I am also finding many interesting materials on the music programme of the
CRS. I would tell you more about this in my next posting.

Bye till then.
Indira Biswas