[Reader-list] Independent Fellow Monthly Posting

quraishy quraishy at sarai.net
Wed May 19 15:16:22 IST 2004

It is the posting of Rohini Patkar , I am posting it on behave of her

he network used for the getting work by the women:

The third party interviews are meant to give an insight into the
channels that are used by the migrant domestic workers for finding work
for themselves. These are those networks of people that women have
access to (or are approached by) who help them find work, housing, etc,
in Delhi; or bring them from their native villages to towns and cities.

*Delight Consultancy Services, Ashram (Below the Srinivaspuri Flyover)*

On March 10^th , I visited a domestic worker’s employment agency in
Ashram called Delight Consultancy Services. I tried to explore the
details about the process used in recruiting women. They told that they
do not recommend candidates for employment unless equipped with their
complete “bio –data”, they do not send minors for employment anywhere
and women are not sent to work for single men. Many of the girls come
from Calcutta, as the woman, Meenu who is a partner in the agency is
herself from a village in Calcutta. She said that the girls who have
already been employed through them bring new girls from their native
villages to be employed. They match the profile of a girl with that of
the employer and then send them to work. The credentials of the employer
are checked thoroughly and they are completely responsible for the
girl’s well being. In the event of any dissatisfaction, both the
employer and the employee can contact the agency. The salary is
negotiated by the agency to the satisfaction of both parties and the
agency gets a commission depending on the post for which they supply
candidates. The proprietors said that they haven’t received any
complaints at all in the past one and a half years that they have been
running their enterprise.

Note: The office was a small cabin- like structure, situated in the
basement of a building. It had a partition. When I announced my arrival,
immediately one of the several young men who were sitting in a long
bench in the front part of the cabin, asked me to sit and wait and
offered water. He said that the sir and madam are having lunch, so I
will have to wait. Along with the young men, there was one young girl
who seemed a potential maid to me. It is a registered agency, so they
seemed to follow certain rules and guidelines. But despite asking for
some documents or papers of sorts, they told us that they do not keep
any of the documents themselves. It seemed unlikely considering the
amount of paperwork they told us was involved. At the same time, there
were piles of papers lying everywhere which I could not get my hands on
in the first visit. It is essential to do an interview with one of the
women who has been employed by this agency and if possible, with the
employer, to verify the facts etc. Clearly, they realized the potential
dangers faced by these women, and even if they had experiences of women
having faced problems, it was quite unlikely that they will tell it to me.

Next week, I visited the *Kotla* *Chowk* where labour is recruited
everyday at a daily wage. There we met Rajaram, a small time thekedar
who informed us that the ‘going rate’ for men varied between Rs. 100 to
150 a day depending on the nature of work and for women it was Rs. 90
per day. He also told us that women hardly did construction labour or
sat at chowks anymore they mainly did domestic labour. He told us he
sometimes obtained work for the women in Seva Nagar Basti.

*Miss Jaya’s employment agency:*

I visited an employment agency, run by Miss. Jaya, in Lajpat Nagar (I
got the address through the Hindustan Times newspaper). The agency
supplies not only domestic labour but also tutors, clerks for offices
etc. The agency is registered and follows an extremely contractual
system of recruiting and placing labour. Women are mostly demanded for
nursing, childcare, maid work and housekeeping. Women below 18 are not
given employment through this agency and a complete identification and
bio data of the candidate is procured before she is recommended for a
post. The agent did not seem to know much about where they came from,
said mostly Jharkhand, Orissa, Assam and MP. The network is mainly a
word of mouth one; women who have been employed through the agency,
recommend it to other women. Suitability, salary, nature of work are all
settled by means of an agreement signed by both parties (the employers
and the employee). The employer is charged a commission by the agency
for supplying them with labour. Field staff is employed to regularly
check that both parties are satisfied. When asked if any of the
candidates had ever faced any problems he said no. We were unable to
glean any details about the women themselves, their support networks and
their experience of doing domestic labour. Clearly the agency did not
concern itself with anything about the women other than the terms of the
contract.

Note: It was a one- room office and Miss Jaya herself was on leave, off
to America, they said. The two people who were manning the office were
extremely busy, dealing with numerous phone calls, dealing with some
women who had come there for work, etc. When I called them for
appointment, they readily agreed for the visit.

On Aug 5, Maya went again to the /chowk /at Kotla Mandi, where labour
waits everyday for work. There were about 80-100 men lining either side
of the road and one woman who were awaiting a contractor to give them
work for the day. I spoke to the woman, but could not get much
information as we were immediately surrounded by the men! She said she
came everyday and worked for a daily wage of Rs.100. She lives near
Kotla and was originally from Jhansi. She has been in Delhi for ten
years. When I asked her who helped her get housing and construction
work, she replied no one, she had to do it all by herself. Clearly she
didn’t get an opportunity to talk with an overwhelming number of men
volunteering information all the time. Apparently only 2 or 3 women came
everyday and the others had left. I sat there for a while till a Maruti
car drove up. Some labourers picked up their implements and rushed to
the car. Hurried negotiations were carried out after which the car drove
away and the labourers got ready to go. Others dispersed.

I went to a construction site at Moolchand. We were unable to talk to
the workers that time, but I managed to speak to a woman worker late at
night. Her name was Anjali and she lives in a basti in Lajpat Nagar
(which we subsequently visited). She, her husband and the entire team of
workers at the site were temporary migrants who had come to Delhi to
earn money when the agricultural season was lean. They were from
Khatiyaari district in Bihar. Every year, their thekedar, a man from
their village, brings a group of them to Delhi to supply labour for
construction. Here they settle down for about six months, usually in
rented accommodation till they return to their villages. they do not
find work on their own, only through their thekedar, who takes them to
the work site everyday, and brings them back and ensures that they get
their payment. Women are required either when its time to construct the
ceiling, or to break stones. They get Rs. 100 for a day’s work, about
Rs. 1500 a month is spent on food provisions and other houselhold
expenses. When asked if she faced problems during work, any kind of
problems, the answer was predictable. There were no problems at work, it
had to be done. Moreover, she came with her husband and brother in law,
so she was never alone. She had one small child with her at work and a
daughter who she had left in the village. The entire group comes
together from Khatiyaari zila and will go back together.