[Reader-list] Oxford University Hindu Society in 'militant fundamentalist' controversy

nisha - mirzachhotoo at yahoo.co.in
Fri May 21 01:06:09 IST 2004

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2004-05-20/news/1

Hindu Society in 'militant fundamentalist' controversy

Matt Trueman

Oxford University Hindu Society (HUM) was dramatically forced to drop a
charity that was set to benefit from its 'Mumbai Rouge' fundraising
event, after alleged links with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a
militant Hindu fundamentalist group, came to light.

The event, billed as an "elegant evening of dance, song and fashion", had
been due to split proceedings between the British Heart Foundation and
SEWA International, the latter of which describes itself as "dedicated to
the cause of Humanity". However, just two hours before the event was due
to begin, associates of St Hilda's College, where it was to be held,
coerced the organisers into ditching SEWA International. This resulted
from the receipt of what HUM described as "hate mail", in the wake of a
report detailing its contentious connections.

The report, first made public in the House of Lords by AWAAZ - South Asia
Watch - associates HSS UK, the funding arm of which is SEWA
International, with the RSS. It states both are "UK branches of the
Indian RSS family, dedicated to promoting the RSS and its ideology,"
whose "primary aim... is to create physical and ideological training
cells" in the UK, with a "reported 72 training cells" currently in
practice. Suresh Grover, president of AWAAZ, described his organisation
as "the first permanent structure to look at fundamentalism in South
Asia", "secular" and consisting of "academics, lawyers and students".

The RSS, formed in the 1920s, is an all-male group dedicated to turning
India into an exclusively Hindu state. It has been banned three times in
India, twice for its role in fomenting religious hatred and serious
anti-minority violence, and is thought to have played a large part in the
2002 Gujarat mob killing of 2,000, mostly Muslims. Mahatma Gandhi's
assassin was also once an "activist" in the organisation.

Despite the report's existence for almost three months, and an ongoing
investigation launched by the Charities Commission in November 2002
following "allegations... that the charity was supporting militant
organisations in India," HUM committee members Chirag Sanghrajka and
Praajakta Thackare told The OxStu that the accusations were "not really
[considered by the committee as a whole] before the event". They said
that HUM is "affiliated to the National Hindu Students Forum and chose
SEWA International purely because it is the national charity they
support."

A spokesman for HSS UK dismissed the AWAAZ report as "all anti-Hindu
propaganda."

Shantilal Mistry, chair of SEWA International, said: "We're not that kind
of secret organisation, sponsoring fundamentalism. We openly invite
donors to come and see the work that is being done. We're not involved in
any kind of politics or discrimination."

HUM, which similarly "does not affiliate itself, nor promote the agenda
of any political party", was described by its Secretary, Praajakta
Thackare, as a "very small religious, cultural and social society".

However, Grover told The OxStu, "There are members of Oxford Hindu
Society that are members of the HSS both in this country and in India",
although HUM itself denies any of the committee are members.

'Mumbai Rouge' consisted of "music, catwalks and a variety show" and drew"expected numbers of about 100", each paying £8-9. Sanghrajka described
it as "really good fun".

However, some students who attended the gala took a dim view of the
original support of SEWA International. Gemma Avey, a first year Modern
Languages student, told The OxStu: "I probably wouldn't have wanted to
pay £9 to it, but, then again, I only went to support a friend." Peter's
student William Pearce stated that he "certainly would have had second
thoughts", and expressed some disappointment at the seeming "lack of
research".

While Oxford's HUM, which had "never given money to SEWA International",
has "not been banned" from supporting the group, Sanghrajka said: "I
don't know if we will be supporting them again."

Shantilal Mistry of SEWA International, stated he had "nothing to say as
it's their decision. Manchester Student Union has just raised some money
for us. We don't influence anyone and have nothing to hide."