[Reader-list] virtual borders

Curt Gambetta cugambetta at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 21:54:14 IST 2004

Somehow this has slipped past any public debate in the
US. One can imagine the magnitude of 'mistakes' (and
thus wrongful detentions and deportations) endemic to
this system of virtual borders... It seems a flipside
to the dissolution of the sovereignty of national
'borders' (and the identities therein) in a globalized
world, a process made available by the very
technologies that will allow these new 'virtual
borders' to extend themselves flexibly around the
world. i hope this will not set a global precedent (we
can only hope it never sees the light of day!) -curt

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/24/politics/24VISI.html?ex=1086414591&ei=1&en=bc6368ad88cbb55e