[Reader-list] Fith Independent Research Posting - Women in Trains

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 11:10:28 IST 2004

Fifth Independent Research Posting

Dear All,

I will begin by sharing an interesting episode which occurred in the train
yesterday. I was traveling from Dadar to Bandra and was standing by the
door. A woman was selling mogra gajras (little white flower hair braids). A
blind woman was standing by the door, accompanied by a strong (both
physically and mentally) woman. Another woman inquired into the price of the
gajras and decided to purchase four pieces. The seller packed three pieces
instead of four. The seller had packed three instead of four and so, the
buyer asked to insert the fourth piece in the same packet. The blind woman
was asked to pass the packet to the seller to re-pack.
The blind woman asked her companion, “Why don’t you buy a few as well?” The
companion laughed and said, “You want me to put gajras in my hair at this
age? Won’t I look funny? (She meant to say that this would be an
embarrassing thing at her old age).” “Oh come on”, said the old woman, “they
are sweet smelling and you will quite a cheez (sexy thing). Take them.” The
companion laughed again and said, “Do you want someone to abduct me?” Both
of them laughed.
I wondered about the attitude which both the women held. The strong woman
was not beautiful, but she had some charisma. Both women were dark and bulky
and the strong woman was holding fort at the door by hanging onto the pole.
She would constantly ask around as to who wanted to get off at the next
station and would then carefully get the respective woman to come over to
the pole while she would move back.
In retrospect, I liked this strong, bulky, dark, stark woman. She was sexy!

The research process has become interesting. I have been interviewing
commuters often. These are mainly people who I know and who, in turn, put me
on to talk to their acquaintances and circles. What is curiously interesting
about the interview process is that in the beginning, each one of
interviewees starts laughing, wondering what I have to investigate into
mundane, boring, train journeys and rushed commuting. But as the interview
proceeds, I find that they start giving insights and raise questions and by
the end, the standard line is, “This was funny, but it was interesting.”
Interviews with the commuters raise several questions and point out to some
very pertinent aspects of traveling, some of which I outline below:

à	There is an obvious difference in terms of crowd and commuting between
Central Railway and Western Railway. Commuters on both lines have their own
images and stereotypes about the other. The classic one is that Central
Railway is predominantly ‘Maharashtrian’ (and cooperative) while Western
Railway is primarily ‘Gujarati’ (and not cooperative).
Both groups believe that their line is better than ‘the other’. When I was
traveling from Govandi to Kurla recently, I overheard two girls talking on
the train about molestation and rape episodes on the train. One girl was
saying to the other, “Didn’t you see this film featuring Raveena Tandon.
What was it called? Jaago isn’t it? Something, check it out! You see, most
of these incidents take place in Western Railway line, not in Central. In
Central, the havaldar (constable) is always present in the ladies
compartment and the rules are followed strictly in terms of exactly what
time the ladies compartment becomes general. This is not so in the case of
Western. Moreover, Western trains follow a very set route.” How far this is
true is something worth investigating.

à	The manner in which territoriality is expressed is very explicit in
Western Railway. Women traveling on Virar fast will not allow women
traveling to Borivali to enter their train. If the Borivali commuters do get
on the Virar fast, they will face a hellish time getting off, with the women
not allowing them to get off. The grouse is that Borivali commuters have
trains, both fast and slow, every 5 minutes, and therefore, it is not fair
that Borivali commuters get on the Virar fast. Virar fast women commuters
also have a very interesting manner in which they let fellow commuters get
on and get off. Around the pole of the door, on the left side, they will
make a queue which blocks entry and exit from that side and on the right
side, they precariously let the women get off and very few to get in. This
is not the case for Central Railway women commuters because Central Railway
trains have at least 6 long-distance junctions unlike Western which usually
has two i.e. Borivali and Virar.

à	I also came to know recently that in Western Railway, if you claim a set
with a woman sitting at the Window Seat, the moment she gets up, the
claimant will occupy exactly the window seat. Similarly, if the claimant has
claimed a second seat, she will occupy the second seat when her predecessor
has left. This does not seem to be the case in Central Railway where the
rule designed by commuters is that when you claim a seat, whether window,
second, third or fourth, when your predecessor has left, the remaining three
will shift inside and you, the claimant, will get to occupy the fourth seat.
This logic behind this rule is that the fourth seat woman gets tired sitting
on the outside and hence, when a seat is vacated, she should be allowed to
move in and enjoy the comfort of her seat.

à	The (women) crowd traveling along Western Railway is distinctly different
from that traveling on Central Railway. Central Railway women commuters are
often government employees (Central and State), working in BMC, LIC, largely
state owned corporations and they have been in employment for a long while,
as long as 10-20 years. In contrast, you find that along Western Railway,
the women commuters are in diverse jobs. You will find advertising
executives, women holding important portfolios in banks like ICICI, HDFC,
saleswomen, in summary, mostly in employment in the private sector. Career
women are more evident in Western Railway line; even those with service
employment and who are seeking advancement in pay and hence would be open to
shifting jobs.
Women traveling on Western Line see themselves as more posh than women in
Central trains. This is true because women along Western line are very
particular about their appearance and dress quite attractively. To top it,
private firms are now located mainly along Western Railway Line, including
advertising agencies, banks, etc.
Women traveling on Western Railway do not like traveling along Central Line
and the same holds true for Central railway women commuters who detest
Western Railway.

Harbour Line is usually equated with Central Line, though it is distinctly
different in some respects.

Currently, I have begun to focus the research along very specific questions
where I am examining the origin and purpose of the ladies compartment in
Mumbai Local Trains. I am also trying to compare the experience of the
ladies compartment vis-à-vis the Ladies Special where the entire train is
reserved for women. This leads to another interesting question about the
impact of segregation of compartments into ‘ladies’ and ‘general’ (which is
usually seen as gents compartment) on women. Interestingly, a friend living
in Mumbai who has migrated to Shanghai (China) recently said to me that
there is no reserved compartment for women in Shanghai though the trains can
be crowded there. Men and women travel together and she said to me, “Z,
Chinese men are better than Indian men. I wish we did not have a separate
compartment for men and women in Mumbai. At least we would be able to learn
how to face the men!”

I have compiled a piece on the advertisements and posters inside the ladies
compartment which I have posted on my online journal
www.xanga.com/zainabbawa Have a dekko, and keep the questions, comments,
suggestions, and references rolling.

On the move,

Zainab