[Reader-list] Settlement at Hazrat Nizamuddin- Posting 3

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 23:15:02 IST 2004

Dear Naveid
I have been following your postings on the Nizamuddin
settlement, and you seem to have collected a lot of
interesting information. However, in many instances,
you have not given any reference to the sources of
your information. Many of your stories and historical
data need references. You said that Nizamuddin Aulia
was born in 1236 and lived for almost 100 years. Well,
according to Khaliq Ahmad Nizami, an authority on
Nizamuddin Aulia and Chishti order, he was born in
1243 and died 1325 - that makes it 82 years. You have
also mentioned that Nizamuddin Aulia became the
disciple of Baba Farid in Delhi. Now Baba Farid's
monastry was in Ajodhan (Punjab), and Nizamuddin Aulia
certainly went there to spend time with him. I would
also be curious to know the source of the story about
Amir Khusrau's grandfather evacuating Nizamuddin Aulia
from his house. As far as I know, Khusrau's
grandfather, Rawate Arz, had probably died by the time
Khusrau was old enough to meet Nizamuddin Aulia. If
you have sourced your information from oral tradition,
even those could be verified by the documented
history, since so much documented history about the
era is available. Kindly also double check the
spellings of some of the names - Kokantash or
Kokaltash? In one previous posting you mentioned Kali
masjid, which is actually Kalan masjid (the large
mosque).

Yousuf

=== message truncated ===>