[Reader-list] [Announcements] Don't sleep as the sun comes up

Shivam Vij zest_india at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 31 13:12:59 IST 2004

  You want proof that the sun exists, so you stay up
  All night talking about it. Finally you sleep
  As the sun comes up.

Indian poetry in English is plagued by the kind of
irrationality suggested in these word of Jelaluddin
Balkhi 'Rumi'. There are just too many Indians writing
poetry in English, and too few reading it. Nobody
publishes poetry books and the occasional anthologies
that do come out do not do justice to the vast amount
of poetry being written in English all over the
country.

ZEST uses the simple format of a Yahoo! Groups mailing
list to bring ideas that are important to you, but are
lost in everyday mainstream media. We run two such
mailing lists: the ZEST Reading Group, which is about
current affairs, and ZEST Economics. We now bring you
our third offering: ZEST Poets. It is significant that
we didn't call it ZEST Poetry, because poetry's place
is secure in the world. It is poets who are in danger.

ZEST Poets shall begin operations on 3 June 2004.

ZEST Poets is a platform for Indians who express
themselves in verse in the English language. Whether
you are a thirteen year old student or a professional
writer, if you pen verse in English you are encouraged
to post your creations. However, to counter the twin
problems of digital divide and information overload,
we will circulate only two poems each day. One of
these daily poems shall be by such Indian stalwarts in
the English poetry scene as Nissim Ezekiel, AK
Ramanujan, Arun Kolatkar, Dilip Chitre, R.
Parthasarathy, Shirish Chindhade, Dom Moraes, Jayanta
Mahapatra, Kamala Das, Keki N. Daruwalla, Arvind
Krishna Mehrotra and Vikram Seth. But you don't have
to be a poet to join ZEST Poets. We will encourage
active discussions and analysis of poetry.

In the not so distant future, we plan poetry readings
at public places, a poetry website, and annual
anthologies of poetry.

Let me add that in this borderless digital world, ZEST
warmly invites all South Asians, and not just Indians,
to join our groups. And why just South Asians, anyone
from anywhere is invited.

All ZEST Groups are run by different moderators. We
welcome suggestions for new ZEST Groups. ZEST Poets
will be run by Juhi Dua. Juhi is a scriptwriter by
profession and a poet by passion. She lives in Mumbai.

The ZEST Poets homepage is here:

Subscribe to ZEST Poets by sending a blank mail to
zestpoets-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Subscribe via the web by visiting
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zestpoets/join

For comments, queries and suggestions write to
zestpoets-owner at yahoogroups.com

           See you there!
           Team ZEST

=====