[Reader-list] Eminem video

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Mon Nov 1 12:08:15 IST 2004

Dear all,

The Eminem video is really very good, as is the song-- sent a chill down
my spine. It's so great to see that Em finally amounted to something.

Another link than the one below, to the Guerrilla News Network website
where the video premiered, which has the video in Quicktime:
http://www.guerrillanews.com/content/eminem_mosh.html

V.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/timespoll/la-na-mosh28oct28,1,4102645.story
has a link to the Eminem video "Mosh"

            Los Angeles Times October 28, 2004

            Eminem Swipes at Bush

He recruits an army to oust the president at the polls in the video for
his new single, 'Mosh.'

            By Geoff Boucher

Slim Shady is becoming Citizen Eminem.

Rapper Eminem, who made headlines with the gleefully profane alias
Slim Shady, has taken his deepest plunge yet into the political world
with "Mosh," a new song that, along with its music video, slams
President Bush and calls on young America to mobilize against the
administration.

In the animated video, which had its debut on the Internet this week,
Eminem leads an army of young people in hooded sweatshirts who
march through the streets of a police-state America. As the ominous,
martial cadence of the song builds, the hooded legion gains new
members — a single mom who receives an eviction notice, a soldier
who returns home from war only to be ordered back to Iraq, and
rapper Lloyd Bankschafes under the harsh authority of police.

The disaffected army makes it past police and soldiers to storm a
government building, but inside they don't riot — the video climaxes
with the mob in an orderly line at a table with a placard that reads,
"Sign in to vote." The fade shot at the end reads simply: "Vote
Tuesday, November 2."

In the lyrics, Eminem savages the president as a liar and a thief of
American honor. "Strap him with an AK-47 / Let him go fight his own
war / Let him impress daddy that way," the song chides. "Mosh"
implores young America to unite for the election. "Let us beg to differ /
As we set aside our differences / And assemble our own army / To
disarm this weapon of mass destruction / That we call our president /
For the present."

Eminem's rhymes have veered to the political before — notably in the
song "White America" — but "Mosh" has the usually antisocial
firebrand calling for activism instead of anarchy. There are still plenty
of hot-button moments, among them a combat knife driven through a
portrait of Bush and a sequence that suggests that some of Osama
bin Laden's messages have been faked on federal soundstages.

The video also opens with children reciting the pledge of allegiance
while a jetliner crashes near their school — and in that scene Eminem
is at the front of the class with a children's book, a reference to the
president's whereabouts during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The video premiered Monday on the Guerrilla News Network website
and was directed by Ian Inaba, a Berkeley-based contributor to the
website. It hit MTV on Tuesday, and as of Wednesday afternoon the
channel's website listed it as No. 1 on its chart of hot videos.

"Mosh" is Eminem's second single for his upcoming album, "Encore,"
and follows "Lose It," another music video that grabbed attention with
its shots at Michael Jackson. "Encore" arrives in stores Nov. 16.