[Reader-list] Local Trains Revisited

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:57:16 IST 2004

2nd November 2004
Byculla to Dombivali and back

Local Trains Revisited

TIME: This morning I had promised to meet Supriya at Dombivali station by
8:00 AM. I was to board the 8:13 Ladies Special with her to be with her
train group and talk to them. I woke up late. At Byculla Station, I was left
only with the option of boarding the 7:14 Kasara local to make it in time to
Dombivali. Yet, I was very unsure whether I would be able to make it on
time. This morning, I was struggling with time. My appointment with Supriya
could not be postponed or delayed because after all, it was about the 8:13
Local Train which would not make any exceptions for me unless it was itself
delayed.
I calmed myself and decided that in the worst case, I would get off at some
station in between and board the train from there. Along the way, I was
imagining Supriya’s train group. For the last few months, I have been this
‘outsider’ researcher who would watch life unfolding and being played out in
the compartments. Now, I am stepping ‘inside’. I am a bit nervous while I
step inside because it brings along with it too many elements. I am also
beginning to imagine that once ‘inside’ with this group, perhaps news about
me will spread along the Central Railway Train Networks and I might soon
become a visible personality. I am a bit frightened with this prospect – do
I wish to become visible? Or am I playing it safe by being this ‘outside
watcher’? Though I have desired to be this ‘Everyday Heroine’, I find it
might cost me too much in terms of my privacy and private world. Even though
I take the position of a ‘researcher’, I become a representative because I
am telling stories. Can I be a representative? Am I willing to be bold?

Supriya has been very excited about introducing me to her group. In fact,
she has been waiting for me with her group since the last twenty days. I
don’t know exactly why she is excited. Earlier, when I used to interview
people for the research, I distinctly remember Shanta Nayak who had said to
me, “My daughters insisted that I give you an interview. They said to me,
‘mummy, tomorrow if she writes a book you will become famous!’” Perhaps
that’s exactly it – I am giving a face to the everyday person who goes
unnoticed. Maybe my writings will influence Laloo to do something about the
condition of the local trains here. But frankly, I am not intending anything
of these sorts – I am just attempting to understand my locality and on a
more surreptitious agenda, I am trying to get inside people’s minds to
understand them better because as Theodre Zeldin says in his book,
“Toleration is not enough – you have to get inside people’s minds to
understand them!”

TIME: - Through all these thoughts, anxieties and excitement, I made it to
Dombivali railway station exactly at 8:11 AM, two precious minutes before
the train arrived!

Supriya’s Train Group: There is a lot to say about them. But I am going to
be very, very brief here. So briefly, there are about ten of them and now
with Diwali around, some are on leave and vacation. It is a lively group,
consisting of the young and the old. Yeshu mausi who is the oldest member of
the group tells me that the group is ten years old! It is a Ladies Special
group. I don’t remember everybody’s names today but I am going to be with
them for a week or fortnight. Already, Supriya has spoken about me to
another woman who in turn has invited me to be with ‘their’ group as well.

Train groups have their fixed territory. Supriya tells me that two groups
are there in that segment of the compartment. Yet, the other group members
will not come and sit in the area of Supriya’s group even if there is a
vacant seat. They always prefer to sit around their group. Thus train groups
change the character of the compartment which I believe is a transitory
space. Perhaps these train groups introduce an element of regularity in the
compartment space.

One of the members who is ill yet most talkative begins a discussion,
“Western Railway is posh. In my lifetime, I wish that once I get to live in
a Western Railway suburb.” Mrs. Kulkarni, the other elderly member of the
group retorts, “It is just your fanciful desire, that’s it. The other day, I
heard some Western railway commuter say in the train that Central Railway
commuters are not civilized.” The talkative woman affirmed, “Of course,” she
said, one hand towards the earth and the other towards the sky, “We central
people are here (in the morass) while the Western crowd is up there.” There
were disagreements flying around. A younger member of the group said that
the talkative woman has her maiden home in the Western suburbs and hence the
view that she holds! Later, another member joined in the group and she said
to me, “We don’t like Western Railway people. They don’t accept us among
themselves!” Her words struck me ‘they don’t accept us!’

Talkative woman then began telling me openly, ‘You see, there is lots of
politics in the group. Eh Supriya,” she said turning towards Supriya, “she
is your friend nah? You must tell all our codes and signs so she will
understand! This Yeshu Mausi and Kulkarni are the biggest politicians around
here. If I say something and there is a discussion, Yeshu Mausi will always
nod her head in affirmation saying haan haan.” Yeshu Mausi laughed and said,
“Well, if you have already got affirmations then why ask me. I am always
going to yes everything.”

In the meanwhile, there is another political discussion going around.
Kulkarni is telling the talkative lady, “Eh you, you should not twist my
words, you should not ‘maniculate’ my words. When I said that Nanda is a
surekh (cultured and decent) girl, I meant it. She may have negative points,
but to me, everyone is surekh. Does not mean that I am siding with her or
being political by saying nice things about her.” Kulkarni went on using the
word ‘maniculate’ to everyone. It is her Marathi pronunciation for
‘manipulate’.

Supriya tells me that Avantika serial, a popular Marathi soap is frequently
discussed in their group, especially when someone misses an episode on some
day.

Each one of them is curious and asking me what I do. Each one wants a clear
understanding of my ‘job’. One of them wonders whether all I do is commute
by trains each day and idle around the rest of the day! I have been facing
this ‘problem’ of explaining my work to people, trying to de-link my
personal identity from my ‘job’.

One by one, each member comes and talks to me, pointing out different facets
of life in the compartment. “See, this lady sells Avon cosmetics everyday in
the morning,” Supriya tells me. Kulkarni talks to me about Sujata who sells
clothes in the train apart from her regular job, “We each support her by
buying dresses from her. She has to pay off her dues on her flat, so she
does this extra side income thing. Like that there are several women who
this, belonging to the middle class, lower middle class. We don’t view them
as inferior. Rather, we support them.”

I take out my digital camera to click photos. Everyone is excited. Kulkarni
talks to me of her daughter who has a digital video camera worth 35,000
rupees. “From Dubai,” she tells me. Supriya tells me that Kulkarni’s
daughter lives in Dubai. I am curious. I asked Kulkarni if she has ever been
to Dubai. “I have two daughters, one in Bahrain and one in Dubai. I have
been to both places. To put it simply, Dubai is like Cuffe Parade, posh
ekdum while Bahrain is like Badlapur, ekdum backward. Dubai you have all the
facilities. A person born in Dubai is not going to be able to like living
anywhere else. In Dubai, even when you have to go out to buy fruits and
vegetables, you have to weak posh clothes and move out. It’s like that over
there!”

Earlier in the journey, the women were discussing about their Diwali
shopping trips. One was showing her saree purchases to the others. Another
brought out an imitation jewellery set which she had purchased for the
festivities. “Aree, these days the shop owners don’t bargain because it is
festival time and everybody is on the shopping spree. But, you must go to
Crawford market at 10 AM in the morning, just when the market is opening up.
Then you can get good bargains.” Yeshu mausi added, “What dramas. The other
day, a friend asked me to give her a missed call on her cell phone while she
was bargaining with the shopkeeper. She wanted to get him to reduce the
prices further by this tactic!”

Talkative woman said to others, “We should at least a house of our own in
Mumbai city. That is when you feel secure.” There were discussions about
vacation plans and how frequent outstation trips are an expense. Then there
was a debate on spending versus saving, the usual present versus future
debates.

Each of these conversations was very valuable to me. I am coming to believe
that the conversations that people have on the local train have a very
important impact on the city’s organization – where to shop, what to buy,
housing, etc. I believe these local trains are like Jane Jacobs’ sidewalks
where people meet, interact and ultimately, this has a bearing on the city
as a whole!