[Reader-list] [Announcements] Finally, an Alternative

Shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:04:44 IST 2004

 And now, an Alternative
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTAlternative

 Edited by Jogesh Motwani
 The ZEST Community
 Free, with Yahoo! Groups' silly ads

What do Mohandas Gandhi's spectacular asceticism, Masanobu Fukuoka's
natural farming, Ivan Illich's appropriate technologies, Noam
Chomsky's political pacifism, Vandana Shiva's eco-feminism, Black
Elk's visionary shamanism, Chinua Achebe's novels and Isaac Newton's
occultism have in common? They can all be understood as attempts to
provide alternatives to a reductionist, scientific world-view, one
that is so dominant today that it is inconceivable that there could be
alternative ways of being.

We all have misgivings about the modern age. And we have been made to
believe that science, and only science, has the answer to the problems
it creates. Members of ZESTAlternative hope to give voice to such
misgivings by exposing each other to important critiques of the modern
world, and providing alternatives to the existing systems - systems of
education, medicine, technology, agriculture, language, media, art,
culture, history, and, why not, even dissent.

Lets regain our diversity - start with one Alternative article every
day. Members respond to articles but don't initiate new discussions,
because ZESTAlternative is like a study circle which spends more time
listening than talking.

The list is run by Jogesh Motwani from Mumbai. jogeshmotwani at hathway.com

To join send a blank email to
ZESTAlternative-subscribe at yahoogroups.com, or if you have a Yahoo! ID,

Issued by Shivam Vij for the ZEST Groups | shivamvij [at] gmail [dot] com