[Reader-list] A letter to Bush junior

avinash kumar avinash at sarai.net
Fri Nov 12 14:15:16 IST 2004

Please Bomb Seattle, by Geov Parrish

DEAR PRESIDENT BUSH,
I write as a proud American and a resident of one of its many great
cities: Seattle. You've probably heard of us-Space Needle, mountains,
salmon, Microsoft. When you owned the Texas Rangers baseball club, your
team was in the same division as our Mariners. We stunk back then. We
hope you remain grateful. Oh, and Boeing sends its deepest love.

Mr. President, I have an enormous favor to ask of you:

Could you bomb us?

Not just once or twice for show; I mean really bomb the city of Seattle,
hard, like what you're planning for Baghdad and probably for Pyongyang
and Tehran and Damascus and whatever other 50 or 60 major world cities
are in the Pentagon's files. Blast us back to the Stone Age. Make it
hurt. Send us a message.

Don't hesitate or think too much about this-I wouldn't want you getting
migraines or anything. But if you do, consider that we, too, are under
the rule of a power-hungry leader we never voted for, one with
unthinkable numbers of nasty weapons. But that's not all.

Mr. President, we're in the "blue" part of the country, the part that
went for Gore, so I'm sure you'll understand that we've contributed more
than our share of terrorists over the years. Those guys arrested a few
weeks ago for stealing top-secret plans from the military? Our guys.
We've been breeding them for years: the D.C. snipers, the Green River
Killer, Ted Bundy-we "harbored" them all. To your talented staff, making
the case that we're an international menace should be a breeze.

Mr. President, let's face it: The biggest threats to global security
come from the biggest countries, not the smallest. To pull them into
line, you'll need to convince them that you'd take anyone out, even your
own mother. Even your own city.

Hit us, say, with one of those big new post-daisy-cutter MOAB bombs, the
ones that kill just like Hiroshima's nuke except with less radiation.
Maybe drop a few thousand cruise missiles so that the fireball extends
all the way out past the suburban sprawl. Dumb, smart, whatever.

Doing this would give all Americans a far healthier respect for the new
American empire you're creating. The problem with obliterating Baghdad
and its 5 million people is that they're just too far away. For most
Americans, the handiwork of your genius is simply too abstract to fully
appreciate. However, if you take out a place like Seattle-a city they've
likely visited, a place where they might have an old friend-it becomes
much more real. And since we're only three time zones away, an attack
here will get far more media coverage than attacking some obscure
dictator's playpen. Just ask-I'm sure the networks will cooperate.

Even better, viewers will be able to more fully appreciate what your
weapons do, because the survivors will look like them (except for the
burns), even speak the same language (mostly), value human life just as
much as they do. Our dilemmas will seem so much more vivid to our fellow
Americans than the fate of 23 million stage props to Saddam Hussein.
It'll make for some amazing reality TV shows.

And, of course, a wealthy city like Seattle, with its big skyline and
modern infrastructure, means trillions in rebuilding contracts after the
war-enormous windfalls you can award as party favors at your next 2004
fund-raising dinner. If you ever get bored, you can just bomb us again!
Bomb, rebuild, bomb, rebuild . . . now that's putting our economy to work!

All in all, Mr. President, I think it's a perfect fit for the new
American empire you're constructing. It's an unprovoked attack upon a
defenseless civilian population, based on crimes committed by either
unaccountable leaders or psychotic individuals who passed through town.
It'll make your friends even richer, and it'll contribute, far more
directly than any overseas campaign, to your re-election success. Dead
people can't vote Democratic. And we'll get a rebuilt Alaskan Way
Viaduct out of the deal.

Now that you've thought about it, Mr. President, I'm sure you realize
that you can't back down. I trust Secretary of State Colin Powell will
be making the necessary representations to foreign powers shortly. I
think you'll be surprised at how many nations will be willing, even
eager, to help with this one. - Your patriotic friend, Geov Parrish

P.S. I'm moving to Phoenix. Soon.

P.P.S. Damn! I just remembered! We don't have any untapped oil reserves.
I guess that calls this whole thing off, huh? Never mind.

[Courtesy of http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0311/news-parrish.php.]