[Reader-list] last on Derrida

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Nov 18 12:30:45 IST 2004

>From the Village Voice-- a pretty charming, intriguing essay.

V.

The Essay
by *Leland de la Durantaye*
Of Spirit
The late, great Derrida's last lectures had a mysterious double in the crowd
November 16th, 2004 11:30 AM

<http://oas.villagevoice.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/villagevoice.com/Features/926495498/Middle1/default/empty.gif/63626338376133643430663464363330>

acques Derrida, the world's most famous philosopher, died of pancreatic
cancer in a Paris hospital on October 8. He had long been shy of the
spotlight. From 1962 to 1979 he refused to be photographed, relenting
only when /Le Monde/ ran a photo of Michel Foucault with the caption
"Jacques Derrida." Wary of iconization, he combined extreme discretion
as regarded his private person and life, and extreme generosity as
concerned teaching and lecturing. He spoke in dozens of countries on
hundreds of occasions on topics from Plato to phenomenology, Heidegger
to hospitality, Descartes to deconstruction. He gave lectures in support
of political causes such as the anti-apartheid movement, the rights of
Algerian immigrants, and the plight of Czech dissidents, and he gave
other lectures simply because he was invited. A telling (if apocryphal)
Kansas appearance: An audience member stood up and recounted the scene
from /The Wizard of Oz/ in which Dorothy and her friends finally meet
the wizard, who is powerful and overwhelming until Toto pulls away the
curtain to reveal a very small man. "Professor Derrida, are you like
that?" the audience member asked. Derrida paused before replying, "You
mean like the dog?"

Appearances notwithstanding, this was no joke—or at least not merely
one. The image of Derrida that readers often had was that of a
wizard—wonderful or not—booming from behind an imposing curtain of works
and words. But to himself, he was far more like the dog. The
philosophical vocation that he adopted and advocated was a classical
one—that of tugging at the loose ends of accepted truths, of taking hold
of the curtains of metaphysical, linguistic, and political certainty,
and pulling.

I arrived very early at the gated building in the center of Paris where
Derrida taught in his last years. If I arrived early enough, I saw the
following. Hours before the lecture was scheduled to begin, the first
group of auditors arrived: the misinformed. They had heard, as once had
I, that they needed to arrive wildly early to secure a seat—which was
untrue. They would look about the near-empty auditorium, suspecting they
were in the wrong room, before resigning themselves to wait and
producing passionately tattered copies of Derrida's /Of Grammatology/ in
one of the many languages into which it had been grammatologized.
Foreign emissaries continued to trickle in for another half-hour, and
then the first major domestic detachments began to arrive.

Familiar faces appeared. An hour and 15 minutes before the lecture, the
most unusual of Derrida's usual suspects—his giant double—would arrive.
It was said that he hadn't missed a lecture in decades. Upon entering,
he would cast such a fierce, "deconstructing" glance—as a woman sitting
behind me once called it—that the room grew still. After scanning the
crowd for we never knew what, he mounted heavily to his accustomed seat
on the left side of the auditorium, which we unkindly called "the
lunatic fringe." I would always make a point of asking whoever happened
to be sitting next to me who this man was, and heard that he was a
psychoanalyst, a pharmacist, an oceanographer, a madman; that he was
Derrida's brother, his barber; that he was Derrida himself.

As his auditors knew, Derrida was a master of conceptual disguise. His
lectures typically followed a winding path. He would begin with a
paradox, or just some very weird statement ("Speech is speechless,"
"Nietzsche's umbrella was no ordinary umbrella"), and once he had his
audience's attention, would gradually and gracefully guide the paradox
from deep space to inner space, from nonsense to sense. Derrida's
pharmacist, or whatever he was, would ask a question at the end of
nearly every one of these lectures. The question would be a mirror image
of what we had just heard. It would begin with sense—good, sound,
irrefutable sense—and then veer eerily away, grading from question to
statement, statement to rant, rant to raving, sense to nonsense. At some
point he would be cut off by either an impatient audience, or a patient
Derrida. The effect was so curious that during my first weeks I was sure
the two were working in concert in the interest of greater
deconstruction. To this day I am not certain.

A group of elegant women invariably sat in the front row. They were
often warmly dressed and, to the wonderment of the auditorium, would
remain so even through the "sultry" period of the lecture when, after
roughly an hour, overcrowding and poor ventilation would send
temperatures soaring and induce light-headedness in listeners sitting in
the upper reaches of the vertiginous auditorium. Various theories
reigned as to how the elegant women kept cool. A man in the seat next to
me (himself clad from head to foot in leather) speculated that as
Derrida's thought operated according to special "magnetic principles,"
and as "weather is essentially magnetism," temperatures very near
Derrida's body might be much different than those, say, 20 feet away. I
changed seats.

Magnetism and leather were important elements in these lectures. Derrida
provided the magnetism, and his audience the leather. Paris boasted a
rich variety of lectures and seminars offered by erudite and even
charismatic teachers. But none drew such varied crowds as Derrida's.
Many were what one expected in a lecture course given by a
world-renowned philosopher: learned men and women with a stake in
philosophy and its discontents. Many, like myself, had traveled long
distances to be there. But just as one found precise phenomenologists
with conceptual apparatuses that could abstract you from everyday
experience in the blink of an eye, one also found there ardent
cabalists, languorous dilettantes, renegade psychoanalysts, celebrated
poets, and journeyman plumbers.

Forty-five minutes before the lecture was scheduled to begin, two film
crews set up shop. Then came the students en masse, making pit stops at
the still-unoccupied lectern to place recording devices of varying
shapes, sizes, and vintages. (One—there every week—was so large and
bulky it looked like the phones used in World War II films.) By 4:45 no
seats were left; students had staked out both the aisles. By 4:50, the
room was a fire marshal's nightmare. By 4:55, auditors had camped out on
every bit of available floor space around the podium. At 5:00, he arrived.

He was never noticeably nervous, and he was always markedly
businesslike. In his efforts to procure a still-larger auditorium he
would pass around a book for everyone to sign—which would take over half
an hour to run its course. He had on every occasion a lot of material he
wished to present and spared us avuncular anecdotes not rare in Parisian
philosophy seminars, in which the speaker fondly recalled the time he
and Sartre didn't put too fine a point on it. Derrida's lectures were
meticulously prepared and dynamically read. More surprising, they were
funny. The steep roads of his thought were not always easy to follow,
but they were, even at their most recondite, riveting—not just for the
conceptual strength and linguistic agility of the speaker, but also for
the way that he would pounce on new ideas as if they were scurrying
about at his feet, and for the excited pitch his voice would reach when
he had at last got hold of them.

In the early years of the 20th century, members of Paris's cultural
elite would send away a servant every Friday afternoon on a special
mission. After traversing the bustling city, the servants would convene
in the main auditorium of a large gated building in the center of Paris.
There they would wait. A few hours later, their employers would come and
take their places. And then a small man with piercing eyes and an
amicable smile would enter the auditorium: the most famous philosopher
in the world, Henri Bergson. Bergson's friend William James once said of
hearing him speak that "it is like the breath of the morning and the
song of the birds." This was, however, not the only note heard by
intellectuals of the day. T.S. Eliot went to no small pains to
energetically denounce the "epidemic" that was "Bergsonism." The popular
Belgian playwright Maurice Maeterlinck suggested that Bergson was quite
simply "the most dangerous man in the world." The influential French
author Julien Benda declared that he would willingly kill him if he
thought death would limit his influence.

Just as the most famous philosopher in the world during the opening
decades of the 20th century was a small, handsome, Jewish Frenchman
criticized for a philosophy with "irrational" elements, so too was the
most famous philosopher of its closing decades. During the years when
his books and person made their mysterious mark upon my life, Derrida
was often denounced as a dangerous man and his thought as a nihilistic
epidemic. But we who gathered together to hear him speak could not
square this threat with the bright-eyed man with the birdlike voice who
stood before us.