[Reader-list] [Announcements] 'Snapshots From A Family Album' screening on Thursday, 25th November

ninad pandit ninadism at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 22:45:37 IST 2004

 Dear friends,

Chauraha will screen the film 'Snapshots From A Family Album' on
Thursday, 25th November 2004 at the NCPA, Nariman Point, Mumbai. This film is made by Avijit Mukul Kishore, and a must see. Do come and inform others.

Title: 'Snapshots From A Family Album'
Duration: 63 minutes
Language: Hindi and English
Direction+Cinematography: Avijit Mukul Kishore.

Venue: Little Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point, Mumbai.
Date and time: 25th November 2004, 6:30 PM

SYNOPSIS

Family
a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head

Hometown
the place of one's principal residence

Snapshot
a casual photograph made typically by an amateur with a small handheld camera

(Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

The definitions of family and home were put to test in the years this
film was shot. My parents were living and working in different cities,
late in their careers. 'Snapshots from a Family Album' is a look at my
family over those five years.

We are a second generation urban family with roots in a distant
hometown in northern India. The film celebrates moments of
togetherness and periods of separation as it looks at the life of a
typical middle class North-Indian family living out of two cities,
Delhi and Bombay.

My mother interweaves personal stories with the history of the nation
when she talks of playing with little girls displaced from Pakistan
after the partition of India in 1947. My grandmother talks of the
comic nitty-gritty of joint family life with people from different
cultures coming together under one roof. My father finds joy tending
to his plants after retiring from his job. It is everydayness of life
that the film is interested in looking at, with the background of a
migrant family in a state of constant transition.

I had recently graduated from film school when I started shooting this
film. It was intimate and un-self-conscious, looking at my parents
over the years. The film's look is as much one of the camera as it is
that of a son starting his career in a world unfamiliar to his parents
� that of films.