[Reader-list] Indian censorship law & rules

Tapas Ray tray at cal2.vsnl.net.in
Thu Nov 25 08:21:25 IST 2004

Hello all.

In July 2003, the Department of Information Technology, Government of India,
had passed a pretty draconian censorship order - No. GSR529(E) - for the
net. The story was broken by the Times of India, if I remember correctly.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could (a) give me a link to a site,
preferably official, that has the order (I was unable to find it on the DoIT
site), (b) let me know whether this order has been withdrawn or amended, and
if so, the link(s) to those sites, and (c) information on and links to any
other order related to net censorship/control that may have been passed.

Once again, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tapas Ray