[Reader-list] the Act of leisure

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 10:28:09 IST 2004

Dear Iram and Taha,
Thank you for intiating this discussion on the reader list. I personally
believe that this issue is very valuable considering the developments taking
place in various cities. Here are some of my comments from my experiences in
Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. I also have a few questions of clarfication at
the end which I hope you would address.

In my understanding, questions of security, especially public security,
acquire a different dimension in the case of New Delhi for two reasons:
a). It being the capital city and given the political elite residing there
and the history of 'attacks', there can be various kinds of dramas about
'public security' playing on both real and percieved threats.
b). Delhi's proximity to Kashmir and the media generated images of Kashmir
in the public mind.
The Kashmir factor is a tricky one because it can often be used as an excuse
to increase 'security' in the name of 'public'. I remember that when the
Ansel Plaza incident took place, we tried to generate a small discussion in
the public on the issue of security and a young boy protested strongly
saying 'how can you even question the idea of 'public security'. If it comes
from the government, it must be right'. While I was damn surprised on
hearing such a view, I realized that most people tend to be drugged on media
generated stories and images which perpetuate and legitimize government and
therefore the notions of 'terrorist', 'attacks' and 'security' which then
get conditioned in the public mind.

Taking the case of Bombay, I find that the idea of public security gets
practiced in certain public spaces like the railway station. But again, this
is selective as in the case of VT/CST where the outstation side of the
station is patrolled more for detecting narcotics, smuggling, etc. In
Bombay's case, our proximity to Gujarat can also be a factor. Thus, roads
get patrolled during times of high tension in Gujarat, there are naka
bandis, etc. Similarly, during high profile events, there tends to be
greater public security.

In the case of Bangalore, again from whatever I have seen, the gated
community concept looms large particularly in the new developing areas near
the new airport aka Prestige Group Development Projects. Here we have the
idea of private security which I see as almost equal to living in a prison.

I come back to Bombay and highlight some recent trends. Private security is
very much on the rise in this city. In my last few posts, I had spoken of
how residents and corporates are paying 'BMC-Police' to ensure removal of
hawkers. In my field interviews this week, I found out that actually,
residents and corporates are hiring private security to ensure removal of
hawkers. And the interesting thing is that those employed in private
security tend to be Biharis and Bhaiyyas, two tribes which this city hates.
So you pit the people you hate (as security) to remove the people you hate
(the hawkers et al who are also Biharis and Bhaiyyas). Private Security is a
huge thing in the residential buildings and societies in this city.
Decisions to hire private security are usually taken by the building
managing committee with silent approval (owing to lack of time to
participate in society meetings) of the rest of the residents. Then we want
the security to show that they are doing 'real work' - so we install
intercoms in all the houses and the security checks on all the people who
enter the building, want him to enter his name and identity in the
register/muster and then the guard will call home and ask if he should allow
this and this person to enter our home. Lots of work nah? Earlier, this was
all rubbish, but now, this is a fashion, a trend.

Surveillance in public spaces is a very problematic concept. I personally
feel irritated with the presence of the ugly grey van at Nariman Point
though it may not be doing anything to me. The worst part of this trend is
that the very publics don't seem to notice this van, because it is not
affecting them right now. As long as it is not happening to me (NIMBY), it's
fine! BMC rules and regulations operate in parks in Mumbai. You cannot sit
in a park after 10 PM. Similarly, at Worli Sea Face, Police patrolling
starts after 9 PM and young people in cars are asked to show their identity
and push off. It happened with me once.
The road opposite Churchgate station was once used for protests and dharnas
so that the cause is visible to the public and more so when traffic gets
obstructed. The residents and the who's who of the area complained to the
BMC and got the protests and dharnas packing off to Azad Maidan, an area
which is away from public everyday vision and sight.

Street culture is a critical aspect of city life. The streets in Mumbai are
public spaces in themselves. If I see the developments taking place in
Mumbai, I find that gradually, all kinds of 'developmental' projects are
aimed at cleaning up the streets so that the city looks clean. In the
process, you wipe out the very mechansims of security which operate
naturally through means of vibrant streets (and then you employ private
security). I would hate to see Mumbai become another Delhi. But, private
security is huge in Bombay City and is only increasing if I may say so.

It is possible to enjoy a public space without paying for it. Also, one can
think of paradigms of public space where payment is made for the survival
and maintenance of the space. I think Sarai is an excellent example of a
public space. Some of my friends in England had started a restaurant which
served as a meeting space but the restaurant obviously needed money to
survive which needed to come from the users. Ultimately, the restaurant shut
down because it could not support itself. From the research explorations in
Bombay, I personally feel the idea of public space is hugely dependant on
people's paradigms of space and time. Work/economy appears to be a
distraction and takes people away from participation in public.

In retrospect, when I think back, my own interest in my city arose after my
visits to Srinagar. In Srinagar, every space is surveilled and I thought I
was hugely lucky to live in a city where there was no authority sitting on
my head and watching over me. Gradually, today I am beginning to feel that
Bombay is on its way to becoming a Srinagar - a surveilled city!

Questions of Clarification:

1). What/who is a state and what/who is a non-state actor?
2). What would you mean by a non-formal space?
3). How is a non-formal space different from a private space and what/how
would you explain/define a private space?

Cheers,
Zainab