[Reader-list] the Act of leisure

taha at sarai.net taha at sarai.net
Mon Nov 29 15:29:13 IST 2004

Hi Zainab,

I largely agree with your take on the street as a site of surveillance/
contestation/control. But what amuses me the most is the way in which the
state seeks to manage spaces like public parks/ community centers/ roads
inside a residential colony etc. There seems to be a method behind
innocuous measures to gently push the outsider out. The discourse of
hygine/ crime/ cleanliness/ security is invoked on a routine basis  to
secure land/ pavements/ municipal roads/ public parks and of course
community centers.  Not that crime is mythical in this case but does
securing public land in the name of crime prevention help??? I don't
know?? or WHY the fencing of land appears to be the only creative solution
to crime prevention ?

The public-private partnership of Mumbai  is also mirriored here, but its
more subtle. The chief minister's  motherly smile carefully hides the
sneer as the Bhagidari between the government and the residents shifts
into  higher gear. The Delhi Police accelerates its neighborhood watch
campaign encouraging neighbors to spy on each other and report any
'suspicious' activity to the police.  The RWA's tighten the noose around
the hawkers/ sales person/ vegetable vendors/ scavengers and pedestrians.
The RWA fences the residential colony area and installs gates around them
restricting the access and control of 'public' parks/ streets/ roads/ and
shops. The DP also installs CCTV cameras around jantar mantar complex to
monitor agitations and also ofcouse keeps a watch on every vehicle/
pedestrian  that passes by its watchful gaze.

The act of contestation in this haze of assumed/imagined  rights [of
possession/ ownership of land/ area/ property] then becomes interesting.
The missing iron bar on a road divider which is wide enough to let a
person pass or a gap in the  wire meshing of a colony fence  becomes a
site of relief.

But the arbitrariness through which  this kind of  power operates makes it
 more dangerous. The  question then becomes  how does one negotiate with a
quasi legal approach of power. For example, during  Christmas last year,
the Head constable of New Friends Colony thana with eight constables went
around the community center evicting idlers, who were generally sitting
and chatting around CC. I was one of them, when I questioned him, he
waived his Danda angrily at me,saying, ' Agar Aapko Baat Karni Hai To Cafe
Coffee Day Ya Barista Ja KE Baitho Par Yahan Aise Khali Nahi Baithna'.

When I reiterated my 'right' to sit here and do whatever I so damn well
please, he just stared at me and said with a heavy accent 'Suna Nahi Kya'.
That was it. I couldn't do anything about it.

This brings us again to the question of leisure. Why in a place like CC
sitting idly and chatting around the campus invites  the state's wrath but
Barista  and Cafe Coffee Day are a safeguard to its harassment. It isn't
that CC is always like this, God forbid no,but what drives this manic sort
of obsession of the state with the street, common grounds where people
converge/meet/walk.

cheers

Taha