[Reader-list]: the Act of leisure

Aniruddha Basu abose25 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:08:28 IST 2004

Dear Iram,
If Pandu& Co. really intend to process the footage as part of some citizen
profiling project,then we'll be well within our rights to sue the morons and
create a media issue out of it.However such an Orwellian possibility is not
very likely to occur.My guess is that he shot the footage as part of 'normal
procedure' since as  you mentioned, a suspected terrorist was seen in the
vicinity , and the cops were trying to keep an eye on anything
suspicious.There really seems to be not much cause for alarm yet.

Regarding your question about what constitutes leisure,I think that if we
regard leisure as a private or individual act then it differs literally from
person to person,and being a private matter is outside the realm of public
debate.And, if leisure is as I suggested societal/contextual,then at best we
can compare forms of leisure but  not find any underlying thread to
formulate a theory.So, its an open ended question which begs an
answer.Leisure can be generic or individual (or both), is my guess.An
economist will obviously look at leisure from a purchasing power/lifestyle
perspective( how often can I afford going to PVR?).A psychologist will view
leisure as a highly subjective phenomenon based on personality traits, while
a sociologist will probably relate leisure to culture and
socialization.However all these viewpoints would require enormous research
and fieldwork,which I am in no position to make.

Finally when I wrote about dubiousness of means my only intention was to
point out that many of us have adopted the methods that Pandu had employed,
and that there's nothing wrong in it per se.Our ends were of course nobler!

Aniruddha.