[Reader-list] Borivali Railway Station and MNC Drop Box

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 10:28:33 IST 2004

Churchgate to Borivali Station
6:00 PM

Now, imagine the following:

Ø	At Bandra Station, the hoardings are loudly propagating the brand new
Orange phone from which you can watch Television and clips of your favorite
TV Serial.
Ø	The train halts at Andheri where the advertising is loud and clear about
a great career in E-Serve, a branch of Citigroup Companies. You are promised
nine levels of fast growth and a great career.
Ø	You land at Borivali Station and DNA Group Builders are confidently
selling (through hoardings) about a dream house in a dream locality with
amenities of a swimming pool, gymnasium, supermarket and everything that you
want right at your doorstep!

Imagine the above in reverse order! Now, aren’t you being sold a fast
dream through a fast train at quick paced railway stations?

This evening, I was doing the rounds of Borivali station. Borivali station
is Mumbai’s connection with Gujarat, Ahmedabad and Surat. I am not joking
– you have to come here to experience the real thing! It is predominantly
a Gujarati area. A joke which a Gujarati friend used to tell me very often
was, “You see Zainab, all these Gujarati families from Ahmedabad take a
mail train to Mumbai and land at Borivali. From Borivali, they take a taxi
and head straight to the US Consulate for visas to America. Along the way,
in the taxi, they teach their children how to answer questions at the
consulate in Gujju English!” I believe this myth – it is quite a
reality. A year ago, an acquaintance in one of the American Centers in the
city carried out an exercise in Surat town which involved knocking at the
door of every household and finding that at least one member in the family
is settled in the US of A!

Borivali is a highly disorganized station. At 6:00 PM in the evening, the
station was teeming with several thousands of people, each one popping their
head out of the crowds to see whether their train was arriving on the
platform or not. An important thing about Borivali station is that
outstation trains land here and also halt here between stations. But unlike
other stations where the local and outstation train platforms are separated,
at Borivali, the same station serves local and outstation trains. This leads
to uncertainty and the uncertainties are pertaining time – will the train
be on time??? The other interesting characteristic of Borivali station is
that in the evenings, the crowds are heavy in both directions for local
trains i.e. thousands of people are coming back from town to their homes and
at the same time, thousands of people are traveling back from Borivali to
their homes in other localities. When I was in the train this evening, I
noticed that the crowd of ladies traveling with me from Borivali were
actually going back all the way to Dadar and switching trains from Western
to Central lines. Now, that’s quite a task late evening. In fact, while
standing at the platform waiting for a train to return back home, a burkha
clad woman got talking with me:

Burkha Clad Woman: Ladies compartment will come here nah?
Me: Of course. Don’t you see so many ladies standing here?
Burkha Clad Woman: Oh yes.
After a while, Burkha Clad Woman said to me: It will be quite crowded now.
These days, traveling by train from Borivali Station is an ordeal. There is
so much rush even when we have to travel in the down direction, towards
Churchgate.
(With some thought, she qualified her previous statement.) But, I am sure it
must be even worse to travel from Churchgate to Borivali, even for those
going to Virar. Look there (she said pointing to the opposite platform where
teeming thousands were standing with their heads outstretched in the
direction in which the train was expected to arrive.)!

At Churchgate – food stalls: I had boarded a train from Churchgate to
Borivali. I was peering around at Churchgate which seemed very sane even at
5:00 PM in the evening. Today, I spent sometime at Churchgate station. I
stood at the Himachal Pradesh Apple Juice stall and was drinking some apple
juice. I noticed that people actually take time to stand at various food
stalls at Churchgate station and talk to their colleagues. Churchgate
Station is the hub for office-goers and collegians. These two tribes are
most frequent at the station. People fix meeting spots at various stalls.
While picking up a coffee or a Frankie, they chat with each other. Also, if
individuals want to have a private chat on the mobile phone, they will go
over to the coffee stall, pick up a coffee and hang around the stall till
they finish their conversation. The food stalls at Churchgate station are a
resting point, a place where you take time off and be with yourself or your
colleague. There is a certain ‘sophisticated’ crowd which stands at the
Frankie stalls and the coffee stalls. The prices of the food items are very
affordable. But it is the fast track executives who patronize these fast
foods. On the other hand, right at the start of the platform are stalls
selling Railway Canteen Food including donoughts and burgers ala Indian
Style, non-veg pattice and sandwiches, and the faithful samosas, kachoris
and Indian snacks. These have patrons in the form of the government
office-going crowd and even from among the corporate executives.
Other stalls at the station include the Wheelers’ (which Laloo Prasad
Yadav was threatening to evict), a UTI Bank ATM counter (with a security
guard outside), a stall selling religious and Indian culture and history
books, a Railway Canteen (in addition to the stalls) and a new Chinese
Restaurant which will be opening shortly.
The MNC Drop Box: While walking along Churchgate station, I noticed at one
of the side-walls there was rectangular drop box attached to the wall which
boldly said, “MNC Drop Box”. What is this? Let me explain. An MNC drop
box is a service where you can drop your mobile phone bills, electricity
bills and deposit cheques. On the MNC Drop Box, logos of different Multi
National Companies are put. The logos are grouped in categories like mobile
phone companies, power companies and different banks. The idea is that you
do not have to go out of your way to pay your bills – you can do it at the
railway station with this facility. It therefore appears that the railway
station is also becoming a customized service for users. While the
transitions are taking place at this site, you can also complete mundane
monetary transactions. What do you think about this?
The MNC Drop Box is now available at various stations. So far, I have
noticed it at Churchgate, Mumbai Central and Borivali stations. Talk about
transformations of the railway station. I wonder what is the railway station
like in the imagination of the everyday Mumbaiite in terms of his conception
of the city and his personal aspirations?

Cut to Borivali Station: I got off the train. People were pushing me in
various directions. You cannot afford to be slow on the platform at Borivali
station though you can be leisurely at the Foot Over Bridges (FOB). Food is
the main theme of this station. All kinds of foods are available here. Some
stalls specialize in juices. Patrons at the stall represent the practice of
‘a quick bite, a quick drink’ unlike Churchgate which I have elaborated
upon above.
The other thing about Borivali Station is that it is quite unplanned. Most
of the public here wants to avoid using the FOB and cross the tracks to
reach from one platform to the other. Further, at a point in the station,
some platforms are short while others stretch into some kind of eternity.
This causes a level of disorganization. I am not yet sure about accidents
and deaths here, though the Railway Police has some offices tackling with
accidents and deaths.
As you walk along platform number 1 on this station, you will notice as
wall-less urinal here. It is meant only for men. While the urinal itself may
go unnoticed, the stench of ammonia cannot be missed.
There are also benches on platform number 1 where people sit and talk. Today
I noticed several couples sitting here and talking. There is a foundation
called Majithia Foundation which has installed boards on the station, some
of which are attached right above the benches. On each of these boards,
there are moral sayings in either English or Gujarati. You will find similar
Majithia Foundation boards at Churchgate station except that these are
numerous at Borivali and few at Churchgate. These boards are old plantations
on the stations and are firm and solid. I do not know how many people notice
these.
At a point on the platform, there is a television screen which displays
news. I think Sahara news was being played out on the screen. There was a
little bunch of men watching the news. One of the things about television
screens at railway stations is that usually, there are few bunches of men
who stand and watch. Accumulated crowd is a hindrance at the railway
station, especially if the crowd is right in the middle of movement of the
rest. I see the plantation of television screens also a part of the age of
customization for the individual customer. There is a segment of the
population among the commuters which patronizes newspapers in the evening
while returning back home. The television screen is meant for this segment.
At Churchgate station though, the television screen shows things apart from
news including entertainment, film promos, etc.
The hoardings along Borivali station appeared fresh and new. As mentioned in
the beginning, today the hoardings were selling the dream of a dream home,
given to you by DNA Builders. They are actually into the construction
business, not into gene-play!
It was mighty tough to move around the station given the crowds. From an
aerial angle as well, all you can immediately notice is thousands of heads,
eager heads, each one waiting for his/her train!

Event of the Day: On the return journey, the train crossed Kandivali and
Malad stations. At Goregaon, passengers entering the train were whispering,
‘there has been a death on the railway tracks’. The train halted a while
on the tracks at a signal, just before Jogeshwari station. Some of us women
peered out of the windows to see what was happening. A police officer with a
torch and two railway karmcharis (workers) were searching the tracks for a
dead body – someone was run over by a train while crossing the tracks. The
women around me began to shudder, imagining the gruesome death. Some of them
had goose flesh, while others kept nodding their heads in fright. I narrated
the incident to my mother at the breakfast table the next day. She had a
similar reaction of shudder and fright. Perhaps I was the only one unmoved
– the insensitive passenger. I have goose flesh and a similar reaction
when I stand at VT station near the dustbin and people spit into it. The
sputum is grimy and too difficult to accept in my real imaginations! Yikes!