[Reader-list] The man who lost his past

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:24:40 IST 2004

... Paul Berczeller calls Steven Spielberg's 'The Terminal' puerile,
and at one level that's easy to agree with.

'Sir Alfred' Merhan Karimi Nasseri's life, suspended in Charles de
Gaulle Airport is a knife edged absurdist comment on our times, Toba
Tek Singh for the twenty first century. And like Sadat Hasan Manto's
unforgettable character, Merhan refuses to make a 'sane' choice -
instead he prefers being stuck in limbo, a man without a country.
To take such a character and put him into a Hollywood film with a
schmaltzy, happy ending would of course immediately attract the
'puerile' label...

But,
I found the film aware of borders, aware of the constant gaze of the
surveillance camera, aware of the inherent cruelty of 'Homeland
Security' and bureacratic red tape, aware that the 'border' isn't just
the arbitrary line that divides nations on maps, but everywhere that
you have to 'Prove your Identity' - and yet full of hope. Saadat Hasan
Manto may have been a greater story writer than God, but the creed of
the storyteller is (I hope and wish and pray) not just to lay bare
with economical scapel strokes the heart of human darkness, but to
enlighten it.

...And how else would you challenge the Panopticon of the surveillance
state, unless you did it the Victor Navorski way?
By talking back to the Surveillance Cameras, like the New York
Surveillance Camera Players...

http://synchroni-cities.blogspot.com/2004/10/terminals-borders-goodbyes.html

On 6 Sep 2004 05:59:12 -0000, sanjay  ghosh <definetime at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> The man who lost his past
>
> Merhan Karimi Nasseri has spent 16 years living in Charles de Gaulle airport. Now Steven Spielberg's Terminal has catapulted him to international stardom - but casts little light on who he really is. And Sir Alfred, as he calls himself, isn't too sure either. Paul Berczeller, who spent a year with Nasseri, set out to unravel the mystery
>
> Monday September 6, 2004
> The Guardian
>
> I first saw him, many years ago now, staring out with an uncanny gaze of blank intensity from the pages of a newspaper. Seated alone on a bench, immune to the endless motion of the airport around him, there was a curious inscrutability to his slight, balding yet dignified countenance. He looked like some unlikely cross between a Zen master and Chaplin's Tramp. He had these amazing long brows, as dark as his hooded eyes, and a small, perfectly groomed moustache perched on top of his upper lip. It was like a caricature of a face, five charcoal marks on a canvas. But strangely noble, too.
>
> His name was Merhan Karimi Nasseri though he called himself "Sir Alfred". He lived in a lost dimension of absurd bureaucratic entanglement. That is to say, on a bench in Terminal One of the Charles de Gaulle International Airport, and he had lived there since 1988. For a series of insanely complicated reasons, the Iranian-born refugee was now a man without a country - or any other documented, internationally accepted identity status. Alfred couldn't leave France because he did not have papers; he couldn't enter France because he did not have papers. The authorities told him to wait in the airport lounge while they sorted the paradox out. That he did - for years and years.
>
> Then one day, I heard that Alfred had finally been given his papers. He was free to go anywhere in the world he wished. Except now it seemed he didn't want to leave the airport after all. It was the only home - the only past - he had left.
>
> I woke up that night burning with an idea for a movie about Alfred - co-starring Alfred himself. I counted the hours before I could hit my desk and get started on the script. To me, his unlikely nightmare was nothing less than one of the quintessential tales of our lonely, displaced, increasingly unreal age.
>
> Perhaps I was a little overexcited, but I soon found that I was not the only one inspired by Alfred's true story. Every screenwriter in London seemed to have a version of his life in the drawer somewhere. And every single one (except mine) was a romantic comedy with a happy ending. None of the others had been made, nor would they ever be. Because word was out that over at DreamWorks, Steven - the Steven - was interested in the story. In sunny faraway LA, the big boys were preparing to immortalise Sir Alfred.

> [...]

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.
http://www.synchroni-cities.blogspot.com/