[Reader-list] Delhi Metro: The change is showing, and how

Ritika ritika at sarai.net
Mon Oct 11 15:42:10 IST 2004

Ahhh metro is such a relief. Even if i have to stand from my place of
work to my home...who cares...atleast i can be myself. I don't have to
worry about who's trying to touch me and where should i be pinching him
etc etc..

I am a regular in metro. From my home in pitampura to my work place
till tees hazaari... it takes 20 mins and thats it.
The initial 3-4 months were extremenly irritating though. The people who
would were new to metro ...would have similar type of conversations.
STRANGE...but ALWAYS. It had almost become predictable.

The conversation would range from - the "tachnology" of metro...to
expenses incurred on one glass window...to how the ac works...to how
conveneient it has become...to whether it'll be vaible economically in
the long run...haanji bahaai saab...metro ne dilli ko jeena sikha
diya... hai ... everybody was a self proclaimed genius on Metro.
Interstingly i always noticed that it were only men who "always knew it
all"...women were generally quiet...

After 6 months of regular use of metro, i am seeing a decline in the
'inquisitive' type of conversations. They have almost died down (atleast
the time during which i travel). Men and women look so bored...its not
even funny.

The conversations are now limited to ... mota lalas who have to get down
for sadar bazaar....at best shout at heir mundus over phone for not
opening the shops on time...the lawyers are fun to listen to...some
stray people ask for legal advice...some get..some don't...
Others still keep looking bored

SO far the metro is clean. people have not yet spat in it, its
comfy...for me.

However, every time i heave a sigh of relief..i remember a colleague who
did his research on people displaced during metro....and wonder..

cheers
ritika