[Reader-list] Norman Mailer on the US Elections

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Oct 19 15:21:19 IST 2004

 From a recent issue of the New York Review of Books, mostly for
enjoyment's sake: this is the best piece of writing I've seen from
Mailer in a long while.

V.

*NORMAN MAILER*
/Provincetown, Massachusetts/

A victory for Bush may yet be seen as one of our nation's unforgettable
ironies. No need to speak again of the mendacities, manipulations, and
spiritual mediocrity of the post–9/11 years; the time has come to
recover from the shock that so abysmal a record (and so complete a
refusal to look at the record) looks nonetheless likely to prevail. Who,
then, are we? In just what kind of condition are the American people?

A quick look at our movie stars gives a hint. The liberal left has been
attached to actors like Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson. They spoke to
our cynicism and to our baffled idealism. But the American center moved
their loyalties from the decency of Gary Cooper to the grit and
self-approval of John Wayne. Now, we have the apotheosis of Arnold
Schwarzenegger. He captured convention honors at the Garden in the
course of informing America, via the physicality of his presence, that
should the nation ever come to such a dire pass as to need a dictator,
why, bless us all, he, Arnold, can offer the best chin to come along
since Benito Mussolini. Chin is now prepared to replace spin.

In 1983, during the formative years of spin, 241 Marines were blown up
by one terrorist blast in Beirut. Two days later, on October 25, Reagan
landed 1,200 marines in Grenada, which is 3,000 miles away from Beirut.
By the time that the invasion force grew to 7,000 Marines, the campaign
was over. The US lost 19 dead, while 49 soldiers in the Grenadian army
perished on the other side, as well as 29 Cuban construction workers.
Communism in the Caribbean was now kaput (except for the little matter
of Castro and Cuba). After this instant victory over a ragtag foe,
Reagan was stimulated enough to accept his supporters' claim that
America had now put an end to our shame in Vietnam. Reagan understood
what Americans wanted, and that was spin. It was more important to be
told you were healthy than to be healthy.

Bush-and-Rove enlarged this insight by an order of magnitude. They acted
on the premise that America was prodigiously insecure. As an empire, we
are nouveaux riches. We look to overcome the uneasiness implicit in this
condition by amassing mega-money. The sorriest thing to be said about
the US, as we sidle up to fascism (which can become our fate if we
plunge into a major depression, or suffer a set of dirty-bomb
catastrophes), is that we expect disasters. We await them. We have
become a guilty nation. Somewhere in the moil of the national conscience
is the knowledge that we are caught in the little contradiction of
loving Jesus on Sunday, while lusting the rest of the week for
mega-money. How can we not be in need of someone to tell us that we are
good and pure and he will seek to make us secure? For Bush-and-Rove,
9/11 was the jackpot.

The presidency is a role, and George, left on his own, might have become
a successful movie actor. Kerry's task by now is to scourge Bush's ham
machismo. But how? Kerry's only real opportunity will come as he steps
into a most constricting venue—the debates. Kerry has to dominate Bush
without a backward look at his own dovish councils—"Don't be seen as
cruel, John, or you will lose the women!" To the contrary—Kerry must win
the men. He has to take Bush apart in public. By the end of the debates,
he has to succeed in laying waste to Bush's shit-eating grin and present
himself as the legitimate alternative—a hero whose reputation was
slandered by a slacker. That will not be routine. Bush is the better
actor. He has been impersonating men more manly than himself for many
years. Kerry has to convince some new part of the audience that his
opponent is a closet weakling who seizes on inflexibility as a way to
show America that he is strong. Bush's appeal is, after all, to the
stupid. They, too, are inflexible—they also know that maintaining one's
stupidity can become a kind of strength, provided you never change your
mind.

There is a subtext which Kerry can use. Bush, after all, is not
accustomed to working alone in hostile environments. He has been
cosseted for years. It is cruel but true that he has the vulnerability
of an ex-alcoholic.

People in Alcoholics Anonymous speak of themselves as dry drunks. As
they see it, they may no longer drink, yet a sense of imbalance at
having to do without liquor does not go away. Rather the impulse is
sequestered behind the faith that God is supporting one's efforts to
remain sober.

Giving up booze may have been the most heroic act of George W.'s life,
but America could now be paying the price. George W.'s piety has become
a pomade to cover all the tamped-down dry-drunk craziness that still
stirs in his livid inner air.

These gloomy words were written before the first debate on September 30.
They were followed by an even gloomier final flourish: "Through this era
of belly-grinding ironies, the most unpalatable may be that we have to
hitch our hopes to a series of televised face-offs whose previous
history has seldom offered more than a few sound bites for the
contestants and apnea for the viewer. God bless America! We may not
deserve it, but we could use the Lord's help. Bush's first confidence,
after all, is that the devil will never desert him in his hour of need.
His only error is that he thinks it is the Son who is speaking to him."

The debate, however, offered surprising ground for optimism. Kerry was
at his best, concise, forceful, almost joyous in the virtuosity of his
ability. He was able to speak his piece despite the Procrustean bonds of
the debate. And Bush was at his worst. He looked spoiled. He was out of
his element. He was tired from campaigning. There are times when a man
has campaigned so much that he is running on hollow. Even Bush's face
had become a liability. He looked cranky and puckered up. For years, he
had been able to speak free of debate, always able to utter his homey
patriotic gospel without interruption. Now in the ninety minutes of
formalized back and forth, with the camera sometimes catching his
petulant reactions while Kerry spoke, he looked unhappy enough to take a
drink.

Most of this was seen on a big state-of-the-art television set, and the
verdict seemed clear. Kerry had won by a large margin. Bush's only
credit was that he had gone the distance without making any irremediable
errors. Kerry's poll numbers seemed bound to increase.

Only one caveat remained. The first twenty minutes of the debate had
been seen on the kind of modest-sized set that most of America would be
using. On that set, one saw a somewhat different debate. Karl Rove had
scored again. However it had been managed, the placement of the cameras
favored Bush. His head took up more square inches on the screen than
Kerry's. In television, that is half the battle. Kerry looked long and
lean as he spoke out of what seemed to be a medium shot, whereas Bush
had many a close-up.

This advantage partly disappeared on the large set. There, each man's
expression was clear, and their relative strengths and weaknesses were
obvious. On a small set, however, some of the cinematographic advantage
went the other way.

We will have to wait for the polls. Will they be as skewed as the camera
angles? We seem to be living these days in a kaleidoscope of ironies. Is
the worst yet to come? If it is a close election, the electronic voting
machines are ready to augment every foul memory of Florida in 2000.
Perhaps it is no longer Jesus or Allah who oversees our fate but the
turn of the Greek gods to take another run around the track. When it
comes to destiny, they were the first, after all, to conceive of the
Ironies.