[Reader-list] From the European Social Forum

ananya vajpeyi ananya at waag.org
Wed Oct 20 23:11:53 IST 2004

The Work of Images in Wartime:

On the last day of the 3rd European Social Forum, held in London from
October 15 to 17, 2004, there was an anti-war demonstration, in which
20-25,000 people marched from Russell Square to Trafalgar Square
protesting the American occupation of Iraq and Britain's support to the
US.

At the concluding Trafalgar Square meeting / concert, there was a large
screen set up beside the stage, constantly showing images to go along
with the music. All these images were carefully selected to get their
message across without any cognitive delay. There were pictures of
political leaders, pretzels, Ronald Mc Donald, hamburgers, bombs
dropping out of fighter planes, caricatures of Bush and Blair, guns,
tanks, Disney-Paris, American troops in the Middle East, Arundhati Roy
in the Narmada Valley, anti-WTO protesters in Seattle, South American
farmers, Guantanamo Bay, Donald Rumsfeld, riot police, etc. etc., i.e.,
contemporary images, taken from war, dissent movements, world politics
and American pop culture in general, especially aspects of it that
Europeans tend to dislike.

So far, so good.

What I found appalling and abhorrent was that the Abu Ghraib pictures
were also up there.

It is not clear to me why it's alright to put photographs of torture in
loops and play them like music videos at a concert in the open air with
thousands of viewers, even if it is a gathering of protest. It's not
like anyone had a choice -- you couldn't turn the images off, because
it wasn't your private television you were watching. You were forced to
behold these atrocious sights, huge, lit up, unfolding in the historic
heart of London. There were children in the crowd, as many people had
brought their kids along, the demonstration being held on a Sunday
afternoon.

Displaying the human rights violations and crimes against humanity of
Abu Ghraib in a public setting without giving viewers a discretionary
option -- to me this seems like a gross misuse of the media. It is an
assault on the viewer and also disrespectful to the victims whose
misery is turned into a global spectacle. War crimes must have
witnesses for there to be justice, but an anti-war demonstration is not
a space for acts of witnessing that have any standing or use in a court
of law. As participants in the demonstration, we were all forcibly
turned into spectators equally of the cruelty of the perpetrators and
the suffering of their victims, the debasement of the American soldiers
at Abu Ghraib and the humiliation of the Iraqi prisoners. If my act of
witnessing cannot serve a legal purpose or a political purpose or even
a moral purpose, I do not want to be arm-twisted into this kind of
spectatorship. Images of torture are not entertaining, not instructive,
not informative, and not valid instruments of propaganda that purports
to be non-violent in its methods, its medium and its message.

Perhaps resorting to such explicit images of violence is an index of
the frustration, even impotence, that many in dissenting sections of
European society feel when confronted with the power of the current
American administration and its allies. By descending to the level of
splicing in Abu Ghraib footage, those protesting American -- and in
this case British and Israeli -- occupation and domination in Iraq and
Palestine appear to be no less desperate than the terrorists who make
videos as they behead their hostages and then want these to be aired on
television channels across the world. But even if it is the case that
all players have been pushed to the wall by an intransigent world power
like the United States, such extreme tactics have to be condemned, no
matter which side employs them and which side we would like to support
in these terrible conflicts.

Some years ago in India, I came to know and like Daniel and Mariane
Pearl. Danny's horrendous execution at the hands of kidnappers and its
recording on film were not just traumatic and tragic events for his
family, friends and colleagues: the whole civilized world was in shock.
Today decapitation videos are par for the course. What is more
egregious -- that innocents are butchered at all? That their murder is
filmed? That such films are broadcast? That such broadcasts become
routine and lose any meaning whatsoever?

This perversion of the media in the very last hours of the European
Social Forum left a bitter taste in my mouth. No one can deny that the
world is radically mediatized. Media will service any ideology without
much discernment. But there must be limits and rules to the
mediatization of war. Recall Guy Debord: "[Life in the era of
spectacular technology] no longer projects into the sky but shelters
within itself its absolute denial, its fallacious paradise. (...). The
spectacle is the nightmare of imprisoned modern society which
ultimately expresses nothing more than its desire to sleep. The
spectacle is the guardian of sleep." (The Society of the Spectacle,
1:20-21). Making a spectacle out of the monstrous acts in Abu Ghraib is
an entailment of political slumber that also perpetuates that slumber.
It is important for people to continue to build solidarity campaigns in
a time of extreme, possibly terminal, cynicism. I have discovered
anecdotally that hardly anyone, even those who are on the left in an
organized or unorganized fashion, believes in the efficacy of protest,
or in the capacity of popular movements to actually effect political
change. Be it east and west, activists, artists and intellectuals are
tired of raising their voices in a vacuum. It's very telling that not
only do thinking people find it difficult to experience "political
euphoria", they have little or no faith in democratic dissent,
especially when it is expressed through non-violent means (-- which
doesn't necessarily mean they believe in violent resistance).

At the ESF there were lots of young people -- mostly students, from the
looks of it -- but there were also lots of older folks, in their 50s
and 60s, people who might have been active in left movements in their
youth. In other words, there were people who came because they had no
political experience and wanted a taste of it, and there were others
who probably recalled a time of greater political engagement and came
in order to relive that time. It was heartening to see both types in
action and at work.

Ananya Vajpeyi, Ph.D.
Writer in Residence
Waag Society for Old and New Media