[Reader-list] Where Ravana's effigy is not burnt

Shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:25:01 IST 2004

India and Hinduism are more complex than secularists perhaps
understand them to be. Does an atheist like me mock at the below item?
And if he says no, he respects these sentiments, is he being honest?
Shivam

  Baijnath's unique Dussehra: Where Ravana's effigy is not burnt!

  By ANI in Baijnath (Kangra District)
  New Kerala | 21 October 2004
  http://athens-olympics-2004.newkerala.com/?action=fullnews&id=38021

Unlike the rest of India, the people of Baijnath in Himachla Pradesh's
Kangra District has reservations about celebrating the festival of
Dussehra. The local belief here is that whoever burns the effigy of
Ravana, the mythological demon king, will not survive to celebrate the
festival in the coming year. A strange kind of quiet descends on the
area on Dusshera day and people prefer not to venture out of their
houses. Even the town's Shiv Temple for which Baijnath is famous wears
a deserted look, unlike the rest of the country This practice has been
observed in this area for the last 20 years.

"Twenty years back, Dussehra was celebrated with zest and fervor. But
there is a myth that whosoever burns the effigy of Ravana dies before
the next Dussehra festival. The person used to die in one year so that
is why we stopped celebrating Dussehra," said Kishori Lal, the
President of the Baijnath Panchayat.

"This is true that we do not celebrate Dussehra. But during 1970's
locals of the area used to celebrate Dussehra. Whoever used to lead
the festival and burn the effigy used to die within a year. So people
thought that ravana was a disciple of Lord Ram so people should not
burn his effigy," said Arun Nanda, a local resident.

Legend has it that Ravana prayed for penance at the Shiv Temple here,
and therefore, Dussehra is not celebrated here.