[Reader-list] 'Request from AMnesty International India Office'

Shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:26:00 IST 2004

>From PUCL mailing list:

Message: 1
  Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 06:02:12 +0530
  From: Suresh-Saila <rights at vsnl.com>
Subject: Request from AMnesty International India Office -

----- Original Message -----
From: <bjbatra at amnesty.org>
To: <rights at vsnl.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 7:36 PM
Subject: mail - for PUCL list

> Would be great if you could put this on the PUCL e-list...
> Dear PUCL members,
> Amnesty International India is preparing research pieces on the following
> issues, and we would be glad to receive information on both of these from
> members of PUCL and others in TN - both the issues directly concern TN.

RELIGIOUS FREEDOM ACTS
AI India is examining the human rights aspects vis-a-vis the various state
'religious freedom' legislation. We are looking to examine the Gujarat and
TN acts along with the Orissa and MP acts. We will also be examining the
politics behind such  legislation.

It would be very useful to get any documentation you may have about this
issue - particularly information where the TN act was previously used to
harass persons or not allow conversions ro if there are any cases under
which people were charged under the TN Act.

Please note that we need the information as soon as possible - we would
like to complete a draft by 15 September 2004.