[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Sep 2 16:13:32 IST 2004

Dear Keith,

I have enjoyed your past few posts to the list quite a bit and as (I
suppose) a "young Indian intellectual" myself, I wonder if we on the
list could push your argument a little further, and see where it leads.

I think you're right in your later mail that Rifkin's statements are
strategic, if somewhat short-sighted and unreflective of larger
historical shifts.  He is clearly writing out of leftish America's
current "anybody but Bush" mentality, where, in the mainstream, slagging
off the French and the Germans is a prime-time TV sport.  Thus Rifkin
wants to preserve and somehow salvage liberal America's last links to
sustainable sanity through Europe.  Rifkin has always dreamed of being a
more populist speaker and writer, making crude arguments and hoping to
sway policy and (having encountered him and his work some fourteen years
ago in college in the US) I would assume he's slanting his usual shtick
slightly to the right, hoping to make a difference.  The Guardian, of
course, would be the wrong place to make that kind of difference.  Maybe
he should have tried Fox News.

Further, R.'s root impulses have sprung from 80's environmentalism and
from rather blunt anxieties about "science"; if I remember correctly, he
has always been uncomfortable about a deregulated world, even a
deregulated commons.  This also clearly informs his (and, for that
matter, pop singer Madonna's) love of Europe as does -this is a palpable
silence in his, and your, text, Keith- the challenge posed by burgeoning
and ambiguous Islamist modernities.  (When the latter issue is taken
into account, Europe becomes a  rather hostile place on the whole, and
France, with its ridiculous and counterproductive headscarf law, becomes
clearly regressive.)  So in the face of "the alternatives", Rifkin
retreats to the liberal safe line and crosses his fingers in the hope
that Europe, at least, will be the future of the world.

So I agree with you that old hegemonies need not be valorised, even if,
in the battle between the euro standard and the dollar standard, I must
confess a hope that Iraq will sometime lead the way, go back to trading
its oil in Euros and let the US economy collapse into its own debt.

What I did find to be a rather surprising blind spot in your posting
however, was a rather unproblematised paradigm of nation vs. nation.
You speak of "billions of cheap, hardworking Asians" thankfully in the
plural, but at the same time you still do sound surprisingly like our
leaders and our upper classes dreaming of the rise of Eendia.  We're not
talking of replacing one hegemony with another, are we?  This misses the
point: for what is at stake is is the formation of a new global
underclass, hard-working or not, and capital so fluent and mercurial
it's hard to tell who exactly is in charge.   Nevertheless, whatever it
is, whoever it consists of, there is obviously a NEW global aristocracy
taking shape, and if it prefers to invest in or inhabit the East as
opposed to the West (but never, alas, the strangled South) that's not
necessarily a positive sign.

Transition from the nation?  Good thing, most probably.  But I'm not
sure at all that the forces you speak of are "inherently progressive and
revolutionary", not sure at all; isn't it up to us and our imagination
to seize the moment and ride the forces into progress or liberation?
Here at Sarai (where I am new) much research goes into illegal networks,
and it's exciting, but one finds (not so?) that even within the
subversive chaos there are shifts towards economies of scale,
specialization, institutionalization of different kinds- and that may
well, in some cases, mean new bossmen, henchmen, slaves, even at very
local levels. (Perhaps someone more closely engaged in this research can
correct me if I'm wrong.) I am concerned that we should not celebrate
chaos without recognizing it as an ambiguous thing, a moment of
transformation into a new order that may not be All Good.

So rather than imputing inherent qualities to complex processes that
will continue to ricochet in several unpredictable directions, OR
spending too much time praying that Europe recovers its liberal glory
and saves us all from hellfire, I would rather we attend closely to the
newly forming hegemonies and the possibilities for diverting, subverting
and resisting them.  (You will notice I put resistance last; but perhaps
it is not the least.)

While the iron is hot,
Vivek.