[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 17:53:35 IST 2004

Dear Vivek,

I would normally miss out the endearment in a posting to an impersonal
list (as I did in my public message to Sanjay), but on this occasion
gratitude compels reciprocity. We should allow the occasion of our
correspondence to remain anonymous. I would draw attention in particular
to the photo at http://www.foet.org/JeremyRifkin.htm. Enough said.

My 'silences' and 'blind spots'' come from trying to simplify an
argument for purposes of discussion, especially since I am a newcomer to
the list as contributor; but I am happy to oblige if you want at least a
trailer of my thoughts on Islam, nationalism etc.

I am a fan of Tariq Ramadan, who shares Swiss citizenship with my wife,
and I side with her against him on the issue of the veil in French
schools. There is no topic more complex that the history of
anti-semitism in France, the republican legislation that persuaded so
many German and East European Jews to settle there, the vicious record
of French colonialism and war in North Africa, the immense presence of
Moslems in France today, the anti-semitic attacks of Moslem youth and
the move of some  French Jews to Israel. I live in Paris and there is
nowhere in the world that the dark side of 20th century history is
replayed on TV as in France. The holocaust is today's news there, for
the simple reason that the French were never held account for their part
in it nor for thwir North African atrocities. But they are culturally
engaged in the politics of history, unlike the anglophones. At the same
time, Chirac has been trying to cast himself as the friend of Islam
against Israel and the USA -- he was the first French president to visit
Algeria since independence! Living in this social cauldron makes me less
than engaged when outsiders pronounce on the single issue of the veil
question (which also includes banning the use of Christain corosses and
Jewish yamulkas in public places). Tariq Ramadan has his line, you have
yours. I am trying to get on with my life as a writer in a Paris attic.
I recognize that this is a total social fact of our world. But maybe it
isn't the main point of the issue I raised.

Since the maintenance of the dollar as the world currency is how the USA
gets to spend what it likes regardless of what it earns, I too am in
favouur of the euro or th eIslamic gold dinar or the yuan or whatever
making inroads into that monopoly. I was immensely cheered to learn
that, when the Americans in Iraq banned the Saddam dinar and started
giving away $20 bills as the putative new currency, the old dinar
doubled in price against the dollar and drove the Americans to accept it
as the standard. If the Iraqis can turn down free dollars, why do the
rest of us buy them at any price? This is linked to the new Republican
version of Keynesian economics: deficit spending in favour of th erich
and powerful and let the rest of the world pick up the tab. If they
don't, we will beat the shit out of them and we can always count on
their government's support since they live vicariously off our violence.

Now the really serious questions you raise -- and I admit I took a
simple view of the answers for the sake of argument -- are the following
(lightly edited):

> We're not talking of replacing one hegemony with another, are we? ...
> there is obviously a NEW global aristocracy taking shape, and if it
> prefers to invest in or inhabit the East as opposed to the West (but
> never, alas, the strangled South) that's not necessarily a positive sign.
>
> I'm not sure at all that the forces you speak of are "inherently
> progressive and revolutionary"; isn't it up to us and our imagination
> to seize the moment and ride the forces into progress or liberation?

> Much research goes into illegal networks, one finds that even within
> the subversive chaos there are shifts towards economies of scale,
> specialization, institutionalization of different kinds- and that may
> well, in some cases, mean new bossmen, henchmen, slaves, even at very
> local levels. I am concerned that we should not celebrate chaos
> without recognizing it as an ambiguous thing, a moment of
> transformation into a new order that may not be All Good.
>
> I would rather we attend closely to the newly forming hegemonies and
> the possibilities for diverting, subverting and resisting them.

Now that is an agenda for discussion. I think you extrapolated beyond
what i actually said, but, for the sake of any lingering readers, I will
save a response for later, after I have touched on the peripherals here.
I am, however, immensely grateful to you for bringing these issue sup in
that way. I will offer two personal anecdotes. I have a life-long
engagement with the 'informal economy', but I do not romanticise it.
Life under feudalism, whether criminal mafias or the KGB, is not
appealing to me. And I have a novel on the back-burner, a
science-fiction murder mystery called Futures: the death and life of Don
Quick. In it I envisage a world recolution soon that leads to another
dual hegemony of India and China and 300 years later there is a grass
roots revolt  against it formed by a Christian type movement drawing on
a decadent and fragmented West as well as the still excluded South. this
i snot a prediction, it is a fiction. But I find it allows me to discuss
the issues you raise in a form more suitable than most non-fictional
discourses.

The real question is whether capitalism is about to give way to some
other social principle or is merely taking on its truly global role, in
which the location of power is irrelevant My scenario is one where the
world in the 24th century (incidentally the same time as Star Trek) is
still trying to emancipate itself from a wage-slavery enforced by
Indo-Chinese imperialism. This is not a rosy picture and I hope it is
wrong. But my aim is to get people thinking in terms that transcend the
limits of their own life-times.

Once again, thanks for encouraging this self-indulgent post. I hope to
be more rigorous in future.

Keith