[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

sanjay ghosh definetime at rediffmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:13:43 IST 2004

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Dear Keith,

I'm don't mind keeping our conversation private, but then we can't accuse the 'list' of consumption. As I had mentioned earlier - bits and pieces within a body of text maybe very useful. I think each and every little gesture says something if only we are ready to absorb. From college students to pensioners, there are such diverse creatures on lists, that it's impossible to set limits on what can be useful. I tried my best to put our conversation in some order so that it's easier to follow. I may have assumed (wrongly?) that you were the victim of the same technical blunder (on my part) which threw the conversation out of the list in the first place.

I believe the tone of one's writing (presentation) betrays an identity therefore I find this idea of anonymity quite ridiculous. Usually it's beyond the scope of 'lists' to have individual mappings of where people come from. Even my parents don't know where I come from. Depending on the complexity of a person it may take years to settle on a vague mapping. And then again people change all the time. Perhaps a list posting can't be compared to an ordinary conversation between two people known to each other. Yet over time you do figure 'oh it's that same loony who forwards from the Guardian!' One can stop there or dig a little deeper but we only recongise people in our own reflection. What you 'read' in a map depends on where all you've been.

A very large number of artifacts from history are without definite authorship but that doesn't diminish their appeal. I believe the 'content' will alway find it's place.

I don't think we are debating, we are simply broadening the scope of the issue. Quite often an argument has to be presented from the wrong end, to let in a larger audience. I can't speak for Rifkin but I think he's done well in presenting an argument which maybe very palatable for a western white audience. It's a practical antidote to the Ukip agenda.  The way you put your argument a large part of the audience will leave before  you're halfway through - which is great disservice to the crucial content of your argument. Perverse as it may sound, I think a bit of outrageousness doesn't harm a set of positive inputs.

I sincerely believe that the government/social patterns in Scandinavia are worth emulating. UK, France and Germany realise this. In this light I think Europe represents a better pattern than most others in existance. It's would be childish to gulp down Rifkin's conclusions as the holy truth.

Information services are basically secondary activities and India is too chaotic to become a superpower. China in some ways is already one. Yet do you sincerely believe that when the Chinese become a superpower, they'll be any different from older superpowers. Living in India right now, I only see the ghost of an ancient civilisation and I suspect the same of China. It's like the popular image of women's empowerment - women who behave like men.

Your specific expectations from this list are absurd and restrict the areas of engagement.

I still feel that the body of our conversation has extremely positive insights, worth sharing with a larger audience.

Regards,
Sanjay

Keith's reply  (sg):

Dear Sanjay,

I was not arguing for keeping our exchange private. I just felt that it was unfortunate, the way it turned out, that interested readers had to reconstruct what passed between us the wrong way round. I would be happy if you posted this last message to the list. Indeed I would prefer it. You have some extremely cogent points to make which ought to be out there. You might want to edit what you have written so far, to take account of the fact that we do seem to have crossed wires somehow -- partly for technical reasons and partly because there is a difference between us that is now coming out. Maybe I don't mind who I estrange with my polemic -- I am not trying to win the hearts and minds of the people, but merely seeking out the odd partner for conversation -- and you seem to seek a more inclusive approach for reasons that I would not impune. The last thing I want is to lay down the law on how members should use the list -- that really would be absurd. I wanted to learn more about your authorial philosphy (and get an anti-Rifkind diatribe off my chest) and I have. I would welcome seeing any version of this letter on the list. Then I will respond in public or, if you prefer, privately. I apologise for sending some signals that offended you. It's probably more a question of style than substance.

All the best,

Keith

CAVEAT (sg): This is a 'late city' edition of a 'conversation' which took place a yesterday, now made public on the 'list' by mutual consent. Please excuse the writers' flowery tone; this was originally a 'private conversation'.