[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 19:15:49 IST 2004

Sanjay,

I know that food, clothing and shelter are basic needs and that an
obscene proportion of humanity lacks adequate supplies of them. In a
recent article, 'The political economy of food in an unequal world'
http://www.thememorybank.co.uk/papers/polecon_food, I tried to show that
western dominance of global food markets was the principal obstacle to
the development of poor countries and the lynchpin of a racist
international division of labour. Textliles, stimulants and construction
are always the lead sectors in the early stages of capitalist
development. But the market for information services is huge and
growing. Yesterday, in an anti-piracy tract issued by the Motion Picture
Association posted to this list, they claimed that "the US motion
picture industry loses in excess of $3 billion annually in potential
world revenue due to piracy". Imagine how much they make, if this is
what they lost. The coercive system of intellectual property rights and
most of the asociated legal action is designed to protect rents
extracted from this sector, after the drugs industry of course. There
would not be so much anxiety in the western media about the loss of
'middle class' jobs to India and elsewhere, if this were not a strategic
area for contemporary capital. I agree that priorities look different
from the opposite end of the economic scale. But it might pay Africans
to try to sell more cultural products that they already excel in, such
as music, rather than competeer in overcrowded world markets for raw
materials.

I hold no brief for the British empire. Indeed I left Britain because my
countrymen appear to be incapable of waking up from their long
post-imperial hangover. I was simply drawing attention to India's
strategic centrality to the global political economy of the 19th
century. In 1870, 17 out of 20 British civil servants worked in India.
The other European powers did everything they could to break the link
between the two places. The Suez canal was built to strengthen it. And
the Commonwealth is a considerable organization that, in my view, could
benefit from more active Indian leadership. If in the 20th century the
peoples forced to join world society by western imperialism fought back
to claim at least their nominal independence, India has played a leading
role in that movement and could play an even bigger one. My 'fantasy'
explores a scenario in which your country throws its weight around
rather more than it has so far. Do we all depend on the American
electorate or, to bring us back to the origin of this exchange, the
European Union, to save us from global fascism?

Keith

www.thememorybank.co.uk