[Reader-list] where was theophilus metcalfe hiding??...from archives

Ritika ritika at sarai.net
Wed Sep 22 16:46:14 IST 2004

Hey everybody,

in yet another hunt in the Delhi state archives, i found this file from
the Cheif Commissioner's proceedings of 1941, created by local bodies
department.

I found the context of the subject quite interesting, therefore posting
it. Thought i'll share.

The Delhi Improvement Trust was at its best at this (1940s..)point in
time in trying to clean up the city etc. New land was constantly being
acquired, for locating people in new areas or for creating memorials
etc. In one such effort, land from village bagh Kalali lyeing between
present Gol Market and Talkatora Gardens had to be acquired.

In a letter to His Ecellency - Marquess of Linlithgow, Chowdhri Mohyid
Din writes a very diescriptive and dramatic mail:  "..that during 1857,
when he British reign in India had not yet been firmly established and
concerted mutiny had been raised, darkness had prevaild over the
peaceful horizon of Delhi, and terrible had grown the situation when, a
nobleman of English blood enters my father' house situated in the
village of Bagh Kalali, exactly at the squares lying between the present
Gol Market and Talkatora Gardens...This was Sir Theophilus Metcalfe,
baronet of Englad. The baronet was trembling from fear of insurgents,
and was crying for shelter and safety of life. ...Three days and three
nights pass away, danger increases my fathers did not spare a moment,
procure a horse and escort baronet's escap to Jhajjor  (rohtak) camp,
quite safe....For this fidelity and friendship His Honour the Lieut
Governor Punjab awarded vast Moafi lands to my fathers and acknowledged
their brave services for help in the establishement of British rule in
India...

Now the Delhi Improvement trust wanted to acquire land under the
paharganj Circus Scheme - and the land earlier given by the STATE to
Mohyid din, was being acquired by the Delhi improvemnt trust.

What follows next in the fat file are series of applications/ letters by
Mohyid din on his forefather's greatness and how land shuld not be taken
from them. he also give a repetative brief sketch of their loyalty. He
elaborates on the nature of service rendered to them.Infact there's also
a letter to COmmissioner by Sir metcalfe (though i am bit confues about
the time gap..) whereby he praises this guys efforts etc.

Testimonials are added to further their case.

What happens finally is not known. The file was followed by other file,
which when i requisitioned was not availbale.

Thats it,
cheers

ritika

--