[Reader-list] <underfire> list discusses "the city as target"

geert geert at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 25 21:31:57 IST 2004

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Jordan Crandall <crandall at blast.org>
To: underfire at smtp.v2.nl
Subject: <underfire> welcome
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:58:29 -0400

Hello,

As of Monday, the Under Fire discussion forum will begin again for another
12-week period.  As before, we will periodically invite guest hosts to
introduce topics for discussion.  Ryan Bishop, Gregory Clancey, and John
William Phillips will initiate the discussions next week with a focus on
"the city as target", including issues around the militarization of urban
space, from the concrete to the imaginary, and the rhetorics of tracking and
targeting.  With the rapidly deteriorating situation in Iraq and the looming
US presidential election, there are sure to be many other urgent lines of
discussion opening up.  Please feel free to participate as you wish, with
text or image, polemics or poetics - either addressing the issues on the
table or adding topics of your own.

The first book in the Under Fire series was published over the summer (ISBN:
90 73362 61 X).  The conversations that occur online between now and
December will be compiled in volume 2, to be released early 2005.  An Under
Fire conference and screening program will be held in the context of the
DEAF (Dutch Electronic Arts Festival) in Rotterdam on November 14.  Details
will follow.  By accessing
http://www.wdw.nl/ENG/text/projects/crandall/fr_crandall.htm you can catch
up on the history of Under Fire and visit the discussion archive.

I would like to extend a special thanks to our sponsoring institutions --
the Witte de With center for contemporary art and the V2_Institute for the
Unstable Media, Rotterdam - and to all of you who participated in the
discussions last spring.  We are looking forward to seeing you again here
during the coming weeks, and to encountering our new colleagues who have
recently joined the forum.

Jordan Crandall

Under Fire
a forum on the organization and representation of violence
Witte de With center for contemporary art
http://www.wdw.nl
underfire at list.v2.nl
for list information and subscription management: