[Reader-list] Everybody's day Out!

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:23:47 IST 2004

Worli Sea Face
5:30 PM

Day Out For All!

Today is a Sunday. Worli Sea Face is ultra-crowded on Sundays. I have landed
here early today, I mean early by Sunday-standards! I sat down a little away
from the place where I usually sit. It is sunny, hot, humid and not yet very
crowded. On my left, there are two young boys who are working out logistical
details of a project. One of them is enthusiastic and is pushing his friend
to get done with the detailing soon. Both of them seem to be enjoying their
workspace here – it helps them think ‘in the open’. After they are done,
they go over for a walk and start discussing happenings in their personal
lives.

Joggers are here today, but in sparse numbers. One of the joggers is wearing
white canvas shoes, like the kind I used to wear in school for PT. These
have become rare in the age of Nike and Reebok. There is a pregnant woman
and her husband is walking her along with a friend of theirs. She is very
happy and content and she is also expectant (obviously!).

Babies’ Day Out – The Balloon Man and his little clients: Today is Babies’
Day Out at Worli Sea Face. Kids are running and jumping. They are in a world
of their own.
Sitting opposite me is a man selling balloons. He is blowing balloons and
setting up his display. There are four types of balloons – the round
apple-shaped ones, cylindrical balloons, Mickey Mouse shaped ones and the
heart shaped balloons. The balloon man is in no hurry. As he is blowing the
balloons and setting up his display, he makes the familiar sound and call of
the balloon man which involves rubbing his palms hard on the blown balloon
surface. This makes a screeching sound – ‘keetch-keetch-screech’ type. Many
people get irritated with this noise. Today, as the balloon man was making
this sound, a group of youngsters walking on the sea face in unison put
their hands on their ears and uttered irritated squeals.
I hadn’t noticed the balloon man all along. I was even oblivious of the
sounds. A little girl aged three, dressed in a yellow frock was walking
smoothly along the sea face with two men accompanying. Suddenly, she got
into this mad fit and ran towards the balloon man. She had recognized him
and was delighted with the sight of the balloons. She strongly desired to
have one when one of the men pulled her away. Her mad fit drew my attention.
Goodness, children recognize the balloon man even today? Instantly, another
little girl of about age three, dressed in a green frock, ran towards the
balloon man and picked one piece. Her father paid the balloon man while the
little girl had already begun her play.
The balloon man is an important part in the life of this city’s children. I
don’t know whether his popularity levels have gone down in today’s times,
but the scenes I saw today made me realize that children still express joy
when they see balloons. Balloons, even now, evoke that sense of wonder, awe
and desire in them – what are these astral things, light and soar in the
sky? Maybe some things don’t lose out their value even in changing times!
A few minutes before the balloon man was done with his display and ready to
go around, a little kid came and stood before him. He held out a Mickey
Mouse balloon which the child accepted and began its play. The balloon man
and the children share a distinct relationship with each other. There is an
element of mutual understanding between them. So also between the Jhoolewala
and his little fastidious customers. Kids have their own constructs and
practices of relationships with different distinct peoples in the city.
Perhaps for the child it is not the city which it processes – it processes
certain universal symbols and peoples which it has already gotten familiar
and acquainted with in its immediate environment.
There were quite a few balloon sellers at the sea face today. And they had
customers too!

Parents’ Day Out – instructions and lessons to babies: I find a lot of
parents here today. These parents belong to the genre of those having little
kids between the ages of one and three – the young parents. Dads are
particularly prominent today. They are giving their babies lessons in
walking and talking. One little girl passed by me and was struck when she
saw the waters of the sea. She yelled loud to her mother, ‘mumm-mumm’ which
in baby talk means water. She was delighted with the vast expanse of
‘mumm-mumm’. Her mother affirmed her baby’s recognition by repeating
‘mumm-mumm’ and then asked her baby to walk along. Some fathers were helping
their children walk, protecting them from falling. Some were giving cycling
lessons to their babies. These men appeared engrossed and content. Maybe
Sunday is the day for parenting for them and the sea face is an apt place
and space for these little and warm relationships.

It is also pregnant mothers’ day out today. Apart from the one I had spotted
earlier, there were quite a few when I went walking around later. All of
them were escorted by their husbands. Sunday and the sea face is a special
occasion. Men use this time to be with their partners after the rushes of
office and work through the week. All kinds of couples are here today – the
middle class, the upper middle-class, the conservative, the liberal – all
kinds! It’s also families’ day out today and again, all kinds of families –
Goan, Christian, Parsi, Maharashtrian, South Indian, etc. The sea face is
some kind of space, though I cannot call it a meeting place because people
stick to themselves and don’t really go out of the way to interact with
‘others’.

I was trying to make analyses through the hordes of people. I felt that
Sunday is a day for weekly walks and jogs for some couples. I remember Dad,
Mom, Simmin and me coming here for Sunday evening walk quite regularly.

Transformations: The Sunday mela of hawkers with jhoolas, roasting of corn,
and what not is not here anymore. But it exists in different forms. The
hawkers have now moved to places away from the main track. One such place is
the pavement at the turning which is both entry and exit to the sea face.
People patronize the jhoolewala and the food stalls there in large numbers.
The other place which I discovered today through a long and deliberate walk
today is the fag end of the sea face. Here, there are active and persistent
stall owners and sellers – the familiar coconut water seller, bhel-puri and
pani-puri guys, corn fellows with their handcarts and ice-cream men. Thus,
hawkers have now been relegated to very specific places – they have been
shifted from the spaces of ‘centre of attraction’ to the ‘side-ways and far
back’.

Upavan : This fag end of Worli Sea Face is now an interesting location on
the overall seafront. A little park has been constructed here. It is named
‘Mini Forest’ or ‘Upavan’ in Hindi. There is a clear list of what you are
NOT supposed to do in the park i.e. you cannot indulge in commercial
photography here, cannot sleep here, no playing radios or loud music, no
selling eatables inside the park, no dogs allowed in, and some more. The
park is sponsored and maintained by a private company. There is a little
office with security guards in there. I glanced through the park from the
outside. Do you call this park a ‘privately owned’ or a ‘privately
maintained’ space? Who owns the park? I find the presence of this park
interesting. It is a ‘meant-for-public-space’ on a public space. Can you
call it an encroachment? What realms of legality does this fall in?
The designers have tried to create a forest-like atmosphere inside. After
all, it has to live up to its name! There are little banana plantations
interspersed with young sapling plantations of various kinds of trees. The
park has a little Kuch Kuch Hota Hai type structure in between i.e. a little
open space with four poles and a roof over it, like the kinds you see in the
Yash Chopra films in which the hero and heroine take shelter during heavy
rains (after they are already drenched) and background music starts to play
for romance and effect! The name Mini Forest really amused me – attempted
jungle in a concrete jungle!
There were some people sitting inside our Mini Forest. Some of them were
facing the sea and enjoying the atmosphere. Some joggers were taking rest in
here after having jogged for a while and stretch.

This evening, after having sat down for an hour, I decided to go for a walk.
I walked all along, in an attempt to feel the atmosphere. One breed which I
noticed prominently while walking was that of sahelis (female friends). A
lot of them seemed like office colleagues. They were sitting facing the sea
and discussing personal lives. While counseling was going on between them at
one level, at another level, the sahelis were walking and having a good
time. It is their day out also today.

Maharashtrian bais were plenty too today. I wonder whether they are regulars
or is this just a season of Ganesh devotees from everywhere who are here in
the city for ten days? I also wondered whether these bais belong to the
genre of ultra-important maids in rich men’s houses. Most of them were
pretty well dressed and had adorned gold jewellery. There were also Shiv
Sainik type youths around here today. Worli is home of several
Maharashtrians and Ganesh festival is celebrated with pomp and glory here.

As evening wore on, the crowds increased. People were leisurely sitting at
the sea face. Dog owners had come out to walk their dogs. Senior citizens
had formed their little groupings, this time in little corner between the
crowds as against their usual prominence and presence on weekdays. Perhaps
these regular senior citizens were sharing space with visitors – chalo, inko
bhi aaj mazaa karne dete hai!

While I walking out, I noticed more and more people arriving at the sea
face. Wow! It is everybody’s day out today!

Scene of the Day: This one is very special, belonging to the babies’ and
dogs’ day out category. A couple was walking their little dog. I don’t know
what breed you call this, but its’ this very, very short black dog, bulky
and it walks like a little baby. On the other side, there was a family
consisting of father, mother grandmother and little year and a half old
baby. The baby was fascinated with the doggie – she was wondering about this
creature which has four legs. Immediately, the baby got down on her knees
and two hands and began imitating the dog’s walk. The family and the dog
owner couple helped facilitate the game between the two. At one point, both
the baby and the doggie came face to face with each other and the doggie who
got intimidated gave a snarl in the baby’s face to which the father
immediately pulled his child away. Then the baby once again drew close to
the dog. She was continuously imitating the dog’s walk on her knees and
hands. Both would come close and either the dog owners would pull their
doggie away or the dad would pull his child away – kids know no boundaries.
They are a delight, a quintessential part of the everyday cinema! This
little baby had unknowingly introduced the two unknown families,
unintentionally creating a meeting place!