[Reader-list] rally against exploitation

Lokesh lokesh at sarai.net
Tue Sep 28 21:33:16 IST 2004

Let's Raise Our Voice Against Exploitaion !

After five days of Hunger Strike by students # teachers In support of the strike of workers for
 their legal mininum wage.

Students - Teachers -  Karamchari
Rally
Venue - From Gwyer Hall
Date - 29 September 2004 (Wednesday)
Time - 11 AM

Students # Workers
 Rally
Venue - From Gwyer Hall
Date - 29 September 2004 (Wednesday)
Time - 7 PM

Please Join The Rally IN Large Numbers

UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY FOR WORKERS RIGHTS

Let's Raise Our Voice Against Exploitaion !

Friends,
	We are appalled that in this University across various construction sites, poor workers are being denied
their minimum wage of Rs. 110/- for 8 hours work. Many have been working for over three months and haven't  been
 given any remuneration, Many don't have food to eat. Moreover due to insanitary living conditions and the absence
of any medical services-many are unwell with diarrohea and viral fever. Little children have respiratory
disorders and many have broken out into boils.
It is estimated that construction workers number over three crore in India and out of them 30% are women
 and children. Half of the plan and budgetary expenditure are spent on construction activites.
The impoverished workers in the unorganised sector do not earn enough to make both ends meet. The tenacious
 nexus between labour courts, construction mafia and police have further adversely affected the rights of
 workers and their bargaining capacity vis-a-vis employers. Both the previous NDA and current UPA government
 have not done anything to redress such a situation. They have even failed to evolve any mechanism to ensure
 that workers get their legal minimum wage.

These workers are neither unionised nor they can resort to litigation which is not simply time consuming
 but else expensive. Whenever they try to raise their voice, the contractors goons and even police threaten
 them.	Some concerned students and teachers have intervened in two of such sites and pressurised the
authorities and the contractors (Nagarjun Constuctions & Shokeen Construction Company) to accept the worker's
 demands. The campaign is far from being over. This time it is the Gwyer hall where 80 workers are on strike
 with students and teachers. The contractor is adamant and threatening the workers to leave. A community
kitchen is also being run with contribution from students, teachers and non-teaching employees of the
university. The workers are showing tremendous sense of unity and we cannot remain a moot witness to it.

	The only resort to this issue is your support in pressurizing the university authorities and the
contractor to pay up immediately. Students & teachers from different colleges & Depts. like Ramjas, Miranda
 House, KMC, St.Stephens, Hindu, Khalsa, Deptment of African Studies, Political Sc., English, History are
 participating in the strike. After 10 days of students workers strike from 24 of sept. the campaign took
another drastic turn when some students and teachers sat on relay-hunger strike. We call upon you to join
us and support us in whatever way possible through funds, medicines and by joining us in the strike.

Venue of strike # Gwyer Hall Front Gate.
Night meeting  - Backyard of Gwyer Hall

UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY FOR WORKERS RIGHT
Mob : 9891790516, 31401679, 9891448511
e-mail : univcom4workersright at rediffmail.com