[Reader-list] Blogging + Privacy = Have we thought it out?

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:35:07 IST 2005

High school bans blogging

March 29, 2005

By Brendan McKenna Herald Staff
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050329/NEWS/503290316/1027

Officials at Proctor Jr.-Sr. High School have banned access from
school computers to an Internet site that students have been using to
post to weblogs, or blogs.

Principal Chris Sousa said the decision to block the site from school
was made because blogging is not an educational use of school
computers.

But he's also urging parents to keep tabs on their children's
blogging, with a particularly close eye to what personal information
the student may be posting on sites like Myspace.com.

"It's not so much a school concern as it is an issue for students and
parents," he said. "This site particularly was getting a lot of hits.
It's a blog site but they also post pictures and biographical
information and then send each other notes."

He added, "My concern is less as a principal and more as a dad."

Sousa said he found the prospect of students putting information on
the Internet, potentially available to predators, was a serious
concern.

"As soon as someone has a name and a general geographic location, it
can take an Internet predator 20 minutes to find their address and
directions to their house," he said. "Any time a teen puts their own
photo or biographical information on a Web site, it's something that
parents at least need to know about."

Sousa also suggests parents take notice of where their children are
going on the Internet by checking the computer's history and cookies.

"We have been doing our best to balance responsible use of technology
with responsible guidelines around educational practices," Sousa said.
"To that end, we frequently check student accounts and monitor network
use by everyone in the building."

He added, "If (parents) would like more information on how to navigate
this site or look into others, please feel free to contact me."

--
"I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to death your
right to say it." - Voltaire

http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Shivam