[Reader-list] The LOC code

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Apr 3 04:34:03 IST 2005

Dear Aman, Vivek and everybody else,

Please do not forget the serious and sanctimonious significance of the
first day of April. Which happens to be the day, coincidentally, on the
calendar, after the 31st of March, when this article appeared.

Please see the link on the actual story in the Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1066425.cms

Now, perhaps this is actually a clue about how seriously we should take
anything that the Times of India publishes, on any given day, of any
given year.

Cheers,

Shuddha

Aman Malik wrote:

>I am rather amused that such a nonsensical article in The Times Of
>India has been taken so seriously by people on this otherwise well
>informed forum.
>
>AM
>
>On Apr 1, 2005 3:44 PM, Vivek Narayanan <vivek at sarai.net> wrote:
>

>>If it is at all possible to make sense of or interpret
>>geopolitically the implications of this hallucination below,
>>I would really appreciate responses from you astute and
>>various cultural studiers on the reader list.
>>
>>-V.
>>
>>Dan's brown haze: Kashmir part of America?
>>TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ THURSDAY, MARCH 31, 2005 10:31:38
>>PM ]
>>
>>http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1066268.cms
>>
>>Does Kashmir - the bone of contention between India
>>and Pakistan for over 50 years - really belong to the
>>US? This is the startling revelation made by Dan
>>Brown, the internationally bestselling author of The
>>Da Vinci Code , in a shortly to be released
>>non-fictional work, The Secret of the K-word .
>>
>>Using spectroscopic analysis (a technique described in
>>detail in The Da Vinci Code' the author claims to have
>>discovered the original document over which the
>>Instrument of Accession, signed by Kashmir maharaja
>>Hari Singh and preserved in the National Archives, New
>>Delhi, was later superimposed.
>>
>>The secret document reveals that Hari Singh, equally
>>apprehensive of joining either India or Pakistan,
>>covertly ceded Kashmir to the US. According to Brown,
>>when the map of Kashmir is reversed it becomes,
>>uncannily, congruent with the hilly state of Kentucky
>>in the southern US.
>>
>>In a telephonic interview with The Times of India ,
>>the Houston-based author said...
>>...he had employed the ancient Kabbalistic form of
>>numerological interpretation to discover "amazing
>>co-relatives between Kashmir and Kentucky which by no
>>stretch of the imagination can be put down to pure
>>coincidence".
>>
>>For instance, when the longitude of Frankfort, the
>>capital of Kentucky, is divided by the latitude of
>>Srinagar, the Kashmiri capital, the prime number so
>>obtained has the same numeric valency as Article 370
>>of the Indian Constitution which accords a special
>>status to Kashmir.
>>
>>Describing it as "one of the best-hidden secrets of
>>the modern world", Brown acknowledged that his book
>>would "create a global furore" and "open many cans of
>>worms".
>>
>>Disclaiming that America's Central Intelligence Agency
>>had any role in these developments, the author said,
>>"The truth can no longer be suppressed. We owe this
>>much at least to the long-suffering people of Kashmir.
>>May the truth set them free, at long last."
>>
>>Copyright (c) 2005 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta (Raqs Media Collective)
The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS)
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054, India
Phone : + 91 11 23960040
Fax :     + 91 11 23943450
E Mail : shuddha at sarai.net