[Reader-list] Invitation to film screening on Friday (8 April) at SCM house

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:46:56 IST 2005

Dear Mr Clifton,

Many thanks for your information. I indeed look forward to seeing
'Outside Mercy', if you could please let me know as to which city is
SCM House (near Priyadarshini Handlooms), Mission Road located in. I
live in Malgudi and it's grown to be a rather large town since RK
passed away. For all you know, Malgudi might have a Mission Road near
Priyadarshini Handlooms, and there may be an SCM House standing erect
on one side of the road in all its glory. Just as every city has an MG
Road,a Mall Road, and a Sadar Bazaar and a couple of 'sarais' and some
'chowks'.

(However, I do suspect the location of your screening is not in
Malgudi, because this culture of independent film screenings is yet to
arrive in our wannabe 'metropolis'. Should you want to screen your
film in Malgudi, I can get you in touch with some school kids who
dream of making (and screening) films of their own some day, and are
ardently learning and studying (in defiance of their parents' wish of
pursuing engineering) to get admission in some place called 'Jamia' in
Delhi.)

(Their parents say that they will not be allowed to study in a 'Muslim
university' anyway. This is another theme that your team might want to
make a film about. If you do make such a film, you must absolutely set
it in Malgudi. Malgudi's ordinary people are now too tired of being in
RK's novels, and have higher aspirations. They want to be film stars.)

I will, however, be travelling from tomorrow onwards, and plan to be
in Mumbai on the 8th of April. So if SCM House (near Priyadarshini
Handlooms), Mission Road is in Mumbai, I would love to attend. Also, I
have friends up north Delhi who had gone to Pondicherry on tsunami
relief work, and they may be interested in seeing your film. So if SCM
House (near Priyadarshini Handlooms), Mission Road is in Mumbai,
please let me know so that I can duly forward them your email (as all
announcement emails must be forwarded to pay one's debt to the
Internet service provider for providing this miracle of cheap and fast
Internet access in our very own Malgudi).

I do understand that thanks to the pleasures of instant email, we all
tend to think that everyone we correspond with (and those with whom we
don't - as with lurkers on a mailing list who might be interested in a
film screening announcement) live next door.

Yours Geographically,

Shivam Vij
1 MG Road
Malgudi 000 000
India

On Apr 6, 2005 11:20 AM, Clifton <clifton at altlawforum.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We invite you to the screening of ¨Outside Mercy¨ a short documentary on the serious food crisis in the
> tsunami affected villages as also the loss of livelihoods.
>
>                Date: Friday 8th april, 2005
>                Venue: SCM House (near Priyadarshini Handlooms)
>                Mission Road
>                Time: 6.00 pm
>                Suggested contribution: Rs. 50/-
>
> A group of us have been actively involved in the relief and rehabilitation processes in the tsunami
> affected villages of TN and Pondicherry. While the mainstream media has been covering the sucess of the
> relief efforts, there are several issues that are being suppressed and need to be brought to the notice
> of the general public. These include issues of exclusion in the relief process and discrimnation of
> dalits.
>
> While we tried to write articles/notes/observations and get them published this more or less failed. As a
> result we have made a short documentary film that documents the losses and struggle of those
> thousands of people who have been severly affected by the tsunami yet have received little or no relief.
> Further, there is no plan to rehabilitate them as is being done for the fisherpeople.
>
> This short film is called ¨Outside Mercy¨ and is about 30 minutes long.
>
> Warm regards
> Pedestrian Pictures and ALF

"I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to death your
right to say it." - Voltaire

http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Shivam