[Reader-list] Thomas Mapfumo's new album

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Apr 7 15:18:32 IST 2005

Some of you may know Thomas Mapfumo's work. He's the genius of
Zimbabwean music who invented a style called "Chimurenga", in the late
sixties, by transposing the notes of the traditional mbira
(finger-piano) onto the electric guitar and mixing it with other
southern and eastern African pop styles, reggae and rock. During
Zimbabwe's liberation struggle, his banned songs were so popular that
the Rhodesian army cruelly played them from helicopters to smoke out
freedom fighters. After independence, he has continued to be critical of
the current Mugabe regime. This-- his new album.

V.

*Banned in Zimbabwe, Do-It-Yourself in America:Mapfumo Breaks Out of the Box (Set) on World Music’s 1st Digital Only Release *

They say that outspoken musician *Thomas Mapfumo*
is better known in Zimbabwe than the country’s president. As he faced
more and more limitations on his own musical freedom (he has been
jailed and his songs banned from Zimbabwe’s state-dominated radio and
press), Mapfumo moved to America. But according to *CalabashMusic.com* founder *Brad Powell*,
“When Mapfumo returns to his homeland to perform, the people shout
along at the concerts to his outspoken lyrics. They could never do this
in the streets. He gives them permission to speak freely.”

Mapfumo will once again break a sound barrier on *April 1, 2005 *when he
releases his new album, */Rise Up/*, exclusively as a digital download
via CalabashMusic.com; making Mapfumo the first artist to release an
entire world music album in digital format only. Furthermore, the April
1 release will be accompanied by a download package of an entire catalog
of his recorded music—over 130 songs—for $99.

The *“Mapfumo Files”*—as this unboxable set has been dubbed—contain the
previously unreleased /Rise Up/, and fourteen other Mapfumo albums,
including a never-released-before recording called */Afropop Worldwide
Presents Thomas Mapfumo and the Blacks Unlimited, Live in New York/*.
Afropop Worldwide’s Sean Barlow says: “Our landmark live recording at
SOB’s in 1991 catches Thomas and his band when they first achieved their
fully matured sound. With two mbira players right up front, the
repertoire alternates between traditionally based songs and uptempo
dance tunes with the swing of African jazz in Thomas’ unique horn
arrangements. One of Afropop’s most sublime recordings ever.” The
recording features key band members Sebastian Mbata (drums), Charles
Makokova (bass) and Ephraim Karimaura (guitar) who have passed away
since the recording was made.

“Here we have possibly the most prolific voice for a generation of
social protest in Zimbabwe,” explains Powell. “He has tried the path of
working with record labels and is now seeking a more direct route to
fans, cutting out some of the middle-men in the process. He has spent
recent months recovering the rights to his music and publishing. And now
he has found our fair trade model which earns a higher royalty than any
other record deal he has had in his life, in 40 years of being in music.”

/Afropop.org Senior Editor Banning Eyre interviewed Thomas Mapfumo about
his latest work,
"Rise Up" in a parked rent-a-car on a chilly day New York City last
December with the heater
running. This beautiful collection of songs is historic in that Thomas,
frustrated with the
limitations of the conventional music, has decided to release it
digitally only as fair trade
downloads. "Rise Up" is one of several classic albums released
digitally. For the first time
ever, Afropop Worldwide is releasing our 24 track live recording of
Thomas Mapfumo and the
Blacks Unlimited at their landmark 1991 session on S.O.B.'s in New York.
See separate feature
on "Afropop Presents Thomas Mapfumo, Live in New York."
/

/[ Interview with Banning Eyre]
/

*THOMAS:* The CD is called "/Rise Up/."

*BANNING:* Before we go to the songs Thomas, this CD has had quite a
history. As I understand,
you recorded the songs twice already in Zimbabwe, and the tapes went
missing. Tell us the
story.

*THOMAS: *Well, this one is a different one, because the other won that
actually got involved
with what happened in the studio last time, was a different thing, and
the music was something
different from what we here. We have only two songs from that other CD
included on this one.
It's new. This is something new. We have one old song that we
re-recorded. "/Mukadzi Wangu/."
I think you still remember the song. [SINGS.] We played that some time
ago, and he we recorded
in a long time ago, and we decided to re-record it. It was going to
sound something new, rather
than the old style.

"Mukadzi Wangu" means "My Wife." This one is about a man who leaves his
family to go abroad and
work for his family because there's no work back home, and you cannot
afford to look after his
family because he is not working and so he decides, "Well, I'm leaving
this country. I'm going
to go out there and look for a job. I'm going to go there and work for
my family and come back
after some time. I'm leaving my wife and children." That's the story.

*BANNING:* He's making a big sacrifice, a familiar story for Zimbabweans
today.

*THOMAS:* That's true. The first song we have there is "/Kova Rira
Mukati/."

[BE: Song is sweet, melancholy, soulful, wearily resigned, gentle.]

*THOMAS: * "Some People Don't Talk." They keep quiet, whilst things are
going wrong, like the
situation back in Zimbabwe where people are not even talking, and yet
there are problems within
the country where poor people are suffering. Somebody is holding onto
the power for all that long.
He has been there for over 23 years now, and he wants to complete maybe
30 years, holding onto power, clinging onto power. And we are saying,
"It's up to you, the people. You have to make a decision. Do you want
this guy to destroy the country, or do you want to do something about
it?." So we are saying, "It is up to you, the people, to make sure
you're going to stop this man from whenever he is doing. He's not doing
anyone good. He has been there for a long time, and he doesn't want to
let go of the power. He doesn't want to listen to anyone. We're having
too many conflicts in that country, so it's up to us the people to make
a decision."

*BANNING:* Can you quote me some of the actual lines of the song?

*THOMAS:* SHONA. It means, "It is up to you, mothers, up to you fathers,
up to you boys and girls.
Look at the situation that we are in today. To make the situation right,
it is up to us, to stand
up and say something. We must rise up and fight back. We need to fight
back."

[BE: Fast jit, led by girls singing.]

*THOMAS:* That's "/Dogura Masango/." It means, "I'm Going Away." "I'm
running away from problems. So I'm going to go away. I don't know where
I'm going. But I'm just going away. I'm running away. I'm getting out of
this country because there are a lot of problems, and I cannot wait for
these problems to destroy my life, so I need to go somewhere where I
will do something about myself. I don't look for me. I'll be gone. I
might be coming back sometime, but I don't know when." It's a
song about the people who are leading that country, and going to live in
some other countries like
England, America, all over the world. They are running away from the
situation back home, so they
can't take it. The songs about them.

*BANNING:* Sango is like the forest.

*THOMAS: *Yes, the forest. "/Mukadzi Wangu/." This is the one we just
talked about. It was on
Ngangariro, along with "/Nyoka Musango/." It's one of the oldest songs.
"/Musandi Wenge/."