[Reader-list] JNU icon compared to Modi

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 11:48:45 IST 2005

So this is how the left proposes to rule the world and claim moral
highground over the neo-cons?
Shivam

After Modi, rights group turns to Chavez record

By Ashok Malik
The Indian Express April 09, 2005
[ http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=68071 ]

Human Rights Watch (HRW), the international civil liberties monitor so
critical of Narendra Modi — its assessments were cited during the
Gujarat CM's visa refusal — has now indicted Venezuelan president Hugo
Chavez who visited India in March.

In its findings released on April 5, HRW accused Chavez of victimising
leading human rights lawyer Carlos Ayala and attempting to frame him.
''This is a clear cut case of political persecution, targetting
someone who has been an effective critic of the Chavez government's
human rights record,'' a release said.

Pointing to previous HRW findings, the report accused Chavez of
packing the Venezuelan Supreme Court. ''This has severely weakened
judicial independence,'' it said. In May 2004, after ''pro-opposition
rulings'', Chavez's government enacted a controversial law enlarging
the court from 20 to 32 members. The 12 new judges are his appointees.

--
"I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to death your
right to say it." - Voltaire