[Reader-list] April Newsletter - I

Stop Ragging Campaign stopragging at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:54:16 IST 2005

Hi!

Here are the pages that we've added to www.stopragging.org since we
sent out our last newsletter on 28 March. We hope you will engage with
them by using the "comments" option at the end of each page.

Cheers,
Sachin Agarwal

REPORT RAGGING
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/report-ragging.html

EXTERNAL LINKS
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/external-links.html

OUR BOARD OF ADVISORS
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/board-of-advisors.html

SUPPORT US
A small contribution by you can go a long way.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/support-us.html

RAGGING AND THE LAW
--------------------------------

>>The Principal Vs. PS Anoop & ors, in the Kerala High Court, 2001
Using the Kerala Prohibition of Ragging Act 1998, the Principal of the
College of Engineering, Trivandrum, suspended five students for
physically assaulting a fresher in 2001. The students challenged their
suspension in a lower court, which set it aside. The matter went to
the Kerala High Court which upheld the Principal's decision, and set
an important example in the state. Full text of the judgement.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/principal-vs-ps-anoop-ors-in-kerala.html

FIRST HAND STORIES
---------------------------------

>>The Summer of 2001
"You know why I left you?" he asked as we shook hands one last time,
and without waiting for my answer said again. "Because we dark skinned
people not generally respected by the fair skinned ones, but I felt
you had different views… so you were spared." After that he left. [St.
Stephen's College, University of Delhi, Delhi]
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/03/summer-of-2001.html

>>Love, thy art beautiful!
This account here is purportedly fictional, as we found it in the
'short stories' section of the Gay Delhi website. However, only that
part of the story has been excerpted by The Stop Ragging Campaign as
was relevant to the theme of ragging, with the aim of generating
thought on the possible links between ragging and homosexuality, or at
least the implications of the emphasis on sexual abuse as a component
of the institution of ragging. [Sri Ram College of Commerce,
University of Delhi, Delhi]
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/love-thy-art-beautiful.html

REPORT RAGGING
--------------------------------

>>To the Director, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
Our letter on James Bond's complaint, to which we never got a reply.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/03/to-director-indian-school-of-mines.html

[New section] RAGGING AND MEMORY:
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/ragging-and-memory.html
--------------------------------

>>Ragging and the victim figure
One advice liberally offered to freshers by agony aunt columns and
retired uncles is, "You must decide how much is enough for you and
draw the line there. Then say no to the senior." Freshers who do draw
the line and rebel in one way or another, often find that moment of
rebellion turn into a moment of epiphany. That impulsive, deferential
moment decides the future of your social life in the hostel.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/ragging-and-victim-figure.html

RAGGING AND SOCIETY
--------------------------------

>>Traumas as Social Interactions
It would seem that while the victim progresses from denial to
helplessness, rage, depression and thence to acceptance of the
traumatizing events - society demonstrates a diametrically opposed
progression. This incompatibility, this mismatch of psychological
phases is what leads to the formation and crystallization of trauma,
writes Dr. Sam Vaknin.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/traumas-as-social-interactions.html

>>A dangerous twist to a harmless practice: Khushwant Singh on ragging
'By the time I joined college in England in 1934, the word ragging had
disappeared from university vocabulary. On the contrary, new entrants
were taken over by older students to be shown round the college and
hostels.'
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/dangerous-twist-to-harmless-practice.html

RAGGING NEWS / RAGGING AND THE MEDIA
--------------------------------

>>And what is a "ragging scare"?
You have heard of a bomb scare, but what is a ragging scare? The Pune
edition of the Indian Express reports on 4th May: "Ragging scare at SP
College, student told to leave hostel". See our analysis of their
report + a more reasonable report from the Sakal Herald newspaper.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/and-what-is-ragging-scare.html

>>The Times of India's "shocking repeat"
How the Times of India reported the SP College, Pune, ragging case.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/times-of-indias-shocking-repeat.html

>>SP College case: Lull after the storm
A follow-up report the next day from the Sakal Herald + a Sakal Herald
editorial on the issue.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/sp-college-case-lull-after-storm.html

>>'Ragging leads to closure of college' (Andhra Pradesh)
Molestation of girls students in the name of ragging brings the Medak
College of Engineering and Technology to a halt in January 2005.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/ragging-leads-to-closure-of-college.html

RAGGING DEATHS
--------------------------------

>>Indu Anto: Suicide or Murder
Seven years after the sixteen year old passed away at Mumbai's Sophia
College, Indu Anto's father continues to strive for justice.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/indu-anto-suicide-or-murder.html

FINAL SOLUTION
--------------------------------
IIT-K: These moms and pops rock!

Senior students at IIT, Kanpur, play parents to newcomers on campus,
says a news report. The "counselling cell" of the institute serves as
a medium of "interaction" between seniorsand freshers, thus providing
an alternative to ragging.
http://stop-ragging.blogspot.com/2005/04/iit-k-these-moms-and-pops-rock.html

Please forward this newsletter to those who you think might find it useful.

--
www.stopragging.org
info at stopragging.org