[Reader-list] Walking the Station with the Girls

tripta tripta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:51:56 IST 2005

Dear Zainab,

As usual thoroughly indulged in the narrative. These days I am exploring
the public transport, buses, metro's, stations, of an unknown city and
through these explorations completely new dimensions and perspectives of
navigating through the city are being revealed; the traffic flow, the
morning-evening peak traffic times, the time-tables, the red lights, the
routes to avoid, the dangerous zone beyond a certain time and the
trajectories intersecting through the city scape. The bus and metro
stations besides the infrastructural and technical differences have an
uncanny semblance to the stations i know of, i have waited and wandered
about. In these stations (spaces), epitomizing eternal wait, blank
looks, desperate glances, hurried steps, overweight baggages and light
flights are all accounted for. These stations are `almost' the most
neutral zone in the cities. Access, technically, cannot be denied to
anyone as that would defeat the purpose of motion, movements and
connections. Do you get the sense of this `neutrality' being constantly
contested through the markings that define (or begin to define) these
spaces in your research? In the constant movements that mark the space,
how are the markings consolidated into a recognizable pattern? There are
dangerous zones in the stations however, have you come across any
articulation or specific reason for certain zones becoming dangerous? is
it something to do with the routes/frequency of the trains passing
through those platforms, etc? Is the platform number 7 a `danger place'
only on weekends and beyond the peak hours or is that how the space is
marked? Is there some relation with the density of people increasing the
chances of invisibility?

For me, personally, the experience of city transport is a completely
surreal one; it's not the move in the city but the city on the move
which completely captures my imagination.

Presently, I am reading, * The Railway Journey */The Industrialization
and Perception of Time and Space
(http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/2053.html), /and
am convinced that you will find it an invigorating read. If you don't
find the book and want it just send me your postal address off line and
I'll have it delivered.

continuing conversations,
t/