[Reader-list] searching for free libraries on the net

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Apr 12 14:16:37 IST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a list of links to free books available on
the net; we all know about Gutenberg and Bartleby, but I'm specifically
looking for books published after 1930 or so, which might have gone up
as a result of initiatives by university presses or other groups.  Large
excerpts are good, but entire books are better.  And I'm especially
looking for links to sites with a number of books on them.

Do send me any links you have, and I will compile and repost the link
collection to this list.

As a starter, I offer this, UC Press's public archive:
http://texts.cdlib.org/ucpress/authors_public.html

It's a very nice collection, including such classic recent stuff like
Timothy Mitchell's Colonising Egypt, the collected essays of Robert
Creeley, south asian regional stuff, and so on.

Looking forward to hearing more-- let's map this thing out.

Vivek