[Reader-list] The Partition Citizens, anyone?

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 00:56:12 IST 2005

Dear list members,

I need to look at any existing historical/sociological work that may
have been done on the 'refugees' of the Partition in India, which
deals not with Partition but with the post-Partition history of these
'refugees' over the decades up to the rise of Hindu communalism /
nationalism. While any such narrative will inevitably draw upon the
Partition, what I mean to say is the the act of Partition and related
events remain in the background, both textually and historically. It
could deal with only the 'Punjabi' 'refugees' or only the 'Bengali'
'refugees'; or both. I intend to compare the two experiences.

I would also like to explore such work in the Pakistani context.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could point me to any sources
on the above.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Shivam Vij
Delhi