[Reader-list] Realism and Cinema

Rashmi Sawhney rashmi.sawhney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:29:38 IST 2005

Dear Manosh and Subhajit
> I managed to access my mail after a few days gap, and was very  pleased to see your responses. Both very thought provking at that. I'm familiar with the essays in 'making Meaning...', JOAI, and Deep Focus. In addition to these I've found Madhava Prasada's 'Ideology of the Hindi Film' to be quite stimulating as well. I haven't found Cinemaya very useful, barring the occassional article. In any case its too expensive for a astudent like myself to dish out the 'international' subscription rates. I'd like to know if the JOAI is still being published. Will certainly look up the Journal of the Moving Image. Can it be subscribed somewhere/ accessed online?
Yes, I agree with the point you both made about the realism/melodrama
distinction being blurred or needing to be differently understood in
relation to the specific constellation of forces that have shaped
popular Indian cinema.
Manoush, I'm not quite sure that i'd view Dev within the framework of
patriotism/terrorism, rather than fundamentalism/secularism...I think
Nihalani had a fairly clear plan of persuassion to execute through the
film. Of course, the dominant ideology confirms with nehru's vision of
secular and economic progress. Therefore, I might not quite agree with
your idea (If I've understood it correctly) that the film follows a
line of other 'nationalist' films, perhaps like Border, Lakshya etc?

best,

Rashmi