[Reader-list] Re: ambedkar:icon:pros and cons

Rob van Kranenburg kranenbu at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 25 18:30:40 IST 2005

"secondly, what constitutes successful politics, prashant? is
economic/political power the only thing? why is 'cultural political
power' considered phony? by what yardsticks are we measuring the
usefulness or hazards of dalit politics? and why are we assuming that
these are the yardsticks of the dalit movement as well?!?!'

when antonio gramsci was in prison he wrote to his mother to tell him
what saints the peasants were carrying in their procession, that
would tell him about their level of optimism for the year. in fact
his sole idea that he worked on during his life is: you got to have
cultural power before you can have political power. unfortunately in
the west where the left does nothing but talk and look at itself in
the mirror it is the extreme right that has understood, claimed and
graseped this effectively thus handing over a politics of sentiment,
feeling to the enemy. more:
http://www.italnet.nd.edu/gramsci/igsn/articles/a09_5.shtml

--

http://www.virtueelplatform.nl/person-1024.25.html&lang=en