[Reader-list] another response to M Suri

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Apr 26 16:22:11 IST 2005

Well, let me throw my hat in here as well.  I am skeptical of the little
hypertext poetry I have seen so far, for reasons I have elaborated
elsewhere ( see, for instance, my review of Stephanie Strickland,
http://www.webdelsol.com/Perihelion/strickland.htm ), but I certainly
don't feel that it would be a futile exercise. Nitoo asks for a
definition of what poetry is, and what better than the one already given
below by M Suri, namely, "to launch into space without a particular
destination in mind, ultimately, to be lost in oblivion"?  Whatever we
do, we will learn from.

I'm not sure I fully understand the concern over "plagiarism".  Now, let
me be very clear, I am certainly disgusted by people who build their
careers without giving credit where credit is due, but, that aside, we
have to face the fact that poetry comes out of and goes into a
commonly-shared pool of language.  Are we outlawing the
borrowing/modification of lines from other poets, which has happened for
centuries and used to be called "alluding"?  What do we do with the
brilliant found poetry of poets like Edwin Morgan (who by the way has
also rocked my mind with his purely visual, concrete poems which are not
meant for oral performance but for display)?  What do we do with the Ern
Malley affair, where two poets created a third, hoax, "fake" poet who
borrowed lines but went on to be far more famous and highly regarded
than either of them ( http://www.jacketmagazine.com/17/index.html ) or,
with the canonical German poet Hans Magnus Ensenzburger's poetry machine
from the 60s ( http://www.jacketmagazine.com/17/enz.html ) which
processes  and regurgitates found text according to an algorithm?

The very nature of poetry is in sampling and re-circulation (although
just borrowing/stealing lines does not automatically make you a good
poet): this, we have to come to terms with.

Vivek