[Reader-list] Making Things Public

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Apr 26 23:53:11 IST 2005

Making Things Public
Exhibition. ZKM
Curated by Bruno Latour and Peter Weibel
http://makingthingspublic.zkm.de/

PUBLIC TEXT
--------------------
No Politics Please

Contrary to Aristotles’ assertion, man does not seem to be a political
animal. To assemble in order to form a Body Politic is not a natural and
universal reflex. Before renewing the ways to practice politics in our
climates, it’s important to fathom the complexity of other types of
assembling. It’s not only the case that people might disagree on which
position to take inside their representative assemblies, not only that
they might contest the right of this or that person to represent their
will, not only that they wish to modify the institutional setting of
politics, it’s also
that people disagree on what it is to assemble, or even on the very
necessity of assembling. If for several centuries Europeans had the
feeling that they were enlightened enough to welcome the whole humanity
inside their own definition of politics, they had not considered the
many dissembling ways of assembling. To represent, to argue, to dissent,
to be a citizen, might not offer that much of a common ground. Entire
empires have survived without isolating politics as a specific sphere of
activity. There might be atmospheres of democracy even in the absence of
the European based types of institutions. So, before imagining any
possible renewal of the conditions for democracy, it’s very important to
realize under which conditions some of the concepts taken to be at the
foundation of political assemblies are allowed to travel and to be
translated. The first lesson is not to rush into expanding politics
everywhere.

The Puzzle of Composite Bodies

In spite of centuries of social theory, of economics, of psychology, the
problem remains intact: when we assemble, how is it possible to form a
collective person, a corporate body, a super-organism, a being that is
sometimes more, and sometimes less, than the sum of its parts? This
problem of composition is not theoretical but also artistic: through
which devices and visual tricks, through which original medium, with
which metaphors, in which language can you produce the simultaneous
presence of those that are assembled and of the new bizarre
entity that is generated out of the assembling? Since the early fable of
the members and the stomach all the way to the modern notion of
organization, through the powerful myth of the invisible hand, this
problem of composition has been shifted to biological metaphors. There
exist, we are told, a body politic. But it’s also possible to stress
another tradition, the pragmatic one, that considers the political
assembly not as a body, but rather as a phantom, that is, as a shifting
and barely visible tracing of the unintended consequences of collective
action. What if politics was made of a multitude of issues, much like a
digital image is made of pixels? The phantom public would look a lot
different from the body politic. It’s fascinating to see that new media
can try to tackle again the same question as those of early engravers
and natural philosophers, but that in all the cases the artistic
solution possesses the same degree of complexity as the very political
assembling that they try to represent.

The Good and the Bad Government

Politics is even more tellingly visible in the famous fresco painted by
Lorenzetti in Siena's city hall. Many scholars have deciphered for us
the complex meaning of the emblems representing the Good and the Bad
Government, and have traced their complex genealogy. But what is most
striking for a contemporary eye is the massive presence of cities,
landscapes, animals, merchants, dancers, and the ubiquitous rendering of
light and space. The Bad Government is not simply illustrated by the
devilish figure of Discordia, but also through the dark light, the
destructed city, the ravaged landscape, and the suffocating people. The
Good Government is not simply personified by the various emblems of Virtue
and Concordia, but also through the transparency of light, its well-kept
architecture, its well-tended landscape, its diversity of animals, the
ease of its commercial relations, its thriving arts. Far from being
simply a décor for the emblems, the fresco requests us to become
attentive to a subtle ecology of Good and Bad Government. And modern
visitors, attuned to the new issues of bad air, hazy lights, destroyed
ecosystems, ruined architecture, abandoned industry, and delocalized
trades are certainly ready to include in their definition of politics a
whole new ecology loaded with things. Where has political philosophy
turned its distracted gaze while so many objects were drawn under its
very nose?

 From Objects to Things

What is a thing? First of all an assembly. There is some danger in
resurrecting the oldest etymology in many languages especially the
European ones of the word for ‘thing’ meaning a gathering around a
disputed state of affairs. This etymology has been used and abused,
especially by Heidegger, in order to strike an opposition with ‘object’,
that is, what is thrown out of any human group, what is the dream of
scientific mastery. And yet, once we reopen the question of composition
and representation, once we bring the cosmos back into politics, there
is some wisdom in rejuvenating the old meaning for things. Yes, politics
is also Dingpolitik, not because it goes back to its archaic foundation
against the
movement of modern life, but precisely for the opposite reason: because
the ‘objects’ that had been thrown out of assemblies by the tradition of
political philosophy are now back inside them. There is thus a crucial
interest in shifting the centre of gravity of politics from an assembly
of people, to an assembly of matters of concern. After all, the
prestigious word Res-publica includes the word ‘res’, thing, in its very
definition and the pragmatic tradition has centered around ‘pragmata’,
that is, things again. Whether in Latin or in Greek, the same question
is raised: what would politics look like if it becomes a politics of things?

No Mediation, No Representation

What has completely modified the divide between objects and things,
science and politics, is the very development of modern sciences.
Whereas, for the three last centuries, the great idea was to replace the
uncertainty of political arenas by the certainty coming out of
scientific laboratories, there has been recently a tide change. The very
extension of scientific laboratories to the whole of the human
activities has made their complex techniques of representation and of
validation part and parcel of daily life. Scientific practice has become
the best example of public things. We are now all entangled into the
sciences. The great advantage
is that we share some of their vocations, of their equipment, of their
requirements. The down side is that the sciences no longer seat as a
court of appeal for the vagaries of politics. We are all embarked into
controversies dealing with indirect and sometimes incomplete proofs. The
objects of science are still objective, but they have become things, in
great need of an assembly. Some people see this deep change as dimming
the hopes of the Enlightenment, others take it as the best occasion to
redefine what it means to be enlightened by the scientific instrumentarium.

Which Assembly for those Assemblages

If we continue to compare assemblies with one another without being
limited to those who look like bona fide parliaments, the most
ubiquitous ones are probably the complex of technological networks
inside which we find ourselves constantly intertwined. All of us live in
an artificial landscape generated by the crisscrossing of endless number
of artifacts each of which has been the result of a plan, a decision, a
discussion about a certain order of the world. Each object has first
been a project. The problem is that those assemblages have no assembly
to represent them. This is the reason why they look like a rather dull,
mechanical, autonomous force exerting power without anyone exerting
power. And yet, when looked at more closely, there is not a single
technology around which, very quickly,you don’t find a swarm of
different people which have indeed assembled around it to make it come
into existence. As Diego de Rivera fresco of Ford plants indicate so
well, even an industrial plant deploys a whole cosmopolitics. What is
especially important for the comparison between assemblies is that those
informal and sometimes virtual groups are very well equipped and
instrumented in order to visualize in advance their projects and their
plans. Technological networks are extremely rich in drafts, drawings,
scale models, representation techniques of all sorts. Doesn’t that make
a lot of sense to bring some of those techniques to bear on politics?

The Parliaments of Nature

It might seem odd at first to consider natural sites just after having
considered religious assemblies. But if the great Pan is dead, it means
that natural sites are no longer those peaceful and well ordered
groupings which could be used as a pattern for public life. On the
contrary, the more we move into ecological controversies, the more
important it becomes to consider an ecosystem as a sort of assembly
without walls inside which many types of ‘speakers’ are allowed to ‘have
a voice’. Not because we want to imitate the usual parliamentary
settings, but, on the contrary, because it’s obvious that the
traditional sites of politics have to move toward the centre of gravity
of ecology. Ecology is not about a naturalization of politics —as if one
wanted to ‘treat humans like plants and animals’— but about the
recognition of the immense complexity of what it is for any entity
—human or non-human— to have a voice, to take a stand, to be counted, to
be represented, to be connected with others. From the beginning of
modern science to the contemporary engineering of rivers, landscape and
agriculture, it’s clear that the number of speech-apparatus and
instruments have immensely increased. Without those many mediations, no
representation would be possible. If we have to live from now on in the
assemblies of nature, we better be aware of the procedures that make
them livable or tyrannical.

Follow the Paper Trails

Intellectual technologies are among the most ubiquitous equipment that
allow people and things to get together inside virtual assemblies. The
problem is that those techniques are looked down because they are
associated with the much despised bureaucrats, technocrats and other
paper-shufflers. File, lists, archives, paper-clips, codes don’t look
like very promising instrument to make things public. It seems that
people would prefer to be rid of all this red tape in order to have a
transparent and direct representation. But since there is no such a
thing, since politics is always about blind leading blind, we have to
rely on those tiny paper trails in order to assemble and to gather our
thoughts as well as the concerned parties. This is especially true, when
those paper trails are what bring the power of law in the daily
occurrences where it’s most needed. If you follow the paper trail, you
soon realize how efficient those prosthesis are. Every file, every
article of law, every procedure seem to render more opaque and more
complicated the course of our lives, but it’s also what protect those
very same lives against arbitrary violence. Files can be changed and
amended but they can’t be done without. Once again, if there is no
mediation, there is no representation. Transparency might not be after
all the ideal of politics.

The Market Place is a Parliament, too

Most of us have probably never been inside any of our national
parliaments and if many people vote they rarely penetrate the sphere of
what is officially called politics. And yet there exist another
ubiquitous set of rallies in which, without realizing it, we vote, we
decide, we are influenced, we are voted down, we are coerced, we are
excited, we are made to be indignant. Those are the immensely powerful
assemblages making up what is called the economy, although they used to
be called much more accurately, political economy. And political they
are indeed in the sense of assembling people and goods in the most
energetic and conflicting ways. The problem is that they are rarely
considered as having taken their decisions according to some due
process. They rather seem to be some autonomous and irresistible set of
forces roaming the world in the wildest manner. Which they are most of
the time for those who are submitted to their iron laws. However, some
of this violence comes also from the fact that they are not taken as
assemblies and not considered in comparison with the other types of
assemblies with which they are often in competition. Iron laws, yes, but
laws nonetheless. So the question is to detect where those laws are made
up and through which procedure. There is thus an immense interest in
considering market places as yet another sort of assembly and to detect
their many techniques of representation. No matter which effort they
might make to look natural and to escape the domain of politics they are
fully inside it. So much so that a close inspection of their ways to
gather, decide, enforce their edicts might go some ways toward enriching
the usual definitions of politics. Especially because they too look like
a Dingpolitik, that is, things count dearly in the infinitesimal
decisions we constantly take about them.

Parliaments too are Complex Technologies

So what about parliaments? What about what people have in mind when they
talk about the public sphere and the profession of politics? After
having visited the assembly of assemblies and bade farewell to the
modernist dream of a one encompassing dome, the physical apparatus of
government now appears as a stunningly efficient and fragile set of
techniques. It’s certainly efficient since those techniques are able to
represent in specific sites the swarm of issues that have been labeled
political; but they are certainly fragile in the sense that they surely
cannot claim to represent all the other assemblies of science, religion,
technology, nature, markets, law to which they are connected. This is
where the question of Dingpolitik becomes so tricky: parliaments are one
technology of
representation among many others, and yet they claim to sum up all the
others. Nothing guarantee that parliaments are relevant for all the
other assemblies. Democracy is not naturally given. It needs to be
instrumented. So before parliaments expand, it’s crucial to explore how
their architecture has evolved, what types of equipment they have
developed to express voices, what kind of techniques are necessary for
casting a vote, what sort of qualities they have to endow those they
designate as their representatives. One is not born a citizen with a
voice and an opinion. We become able to argue, elect and vote only if we
are well equipped to do so.

The Obscure Objects of Politics

Political expression is always disappointing. In terms of the transfer
of exact undistorted information on the social or natural world, we
could say that it always seems to be totally inadequate : truisms,
clichés, handshakes, half-truths, half-lies, windy words, repetitions
mostly, ad nauseam. That is the ordinary, banal, daily, limp,
tautological character of this form of discourse that shocks the
brilliant, the upright, the fast, the organized, the lively, the
informed, the great, the decided. When one says that someone or
something is ‘political’, one signals above all this fundamental
disappointment , as if it
were no longer possible to move forwards in a straight line, reasonably,
quickly, efficiently, but necessary to ‘take into account’, ‘a whole lot
of’ ‘extra-rational factors’ of which one fails to clearly understand
all the ins and outs but which form an obscure, soft, heavy, round mass
that sticks to those with the best intentions and, judging by what they
say, seems to slow them down. The expression ‘that's political’ means
first and foremost ‘it doesn't move straight’, ‘it doesn't move fast’;
it always implies that ‘if only we didn't have this load, we'd achieve
our goal more directly’.

A New Eloquence

There is no way to expand politics if we are not able to extend the
equipment that would allow to present the issues that matters, to
designate the people who may argue about them, to draw the sites where
they have to be gathered. Eloquence is the word that best designates the
common ground for what is being at issue and who is to be convinced.
Eloquence has been somewhat despised because it seemed that there was a
way to do entirely without it and jump directly into absolute,
indisputable and incontrovertible proofs. But once the issues that have
to be brought to bear in the assemblies are as vast as they are remote,
the proofs of what is said about them are of necessity indirect and
always mediated through complicated apparatus. This is where a new
eloquence has to be explored, not the one that would add flowers of
rhetoric to the hard obvious facts, but one that would learn to vividly
present anew what it is to argue about matters of concern. This is where
all of the meanings of representation have to converge, the artistic,
the political, the technical. Can issues be again eloquently articulated?

New Politic Passions

By definition a thing is what in which we are forced to gather because
there exist strong conflicts. Politics is not about agreement, cohesion,
unanimity, sociability, but about practical and sometimes humble ways to
deal with dissent, sometimes extreme dissent. The atmospheres of
democracy do not rely only on the cold circuitry of reason but also on
the violent draughts of passions. But passions too evolve and have to be
cultivated. They are in many ways habits of thought. They can be
channeled along different lines. It’s clear from the elements assembled
in this book —and what is a collective book if not a Thing of some
sort?— that we have not finished exploring the repertoire of political
passions. Each time techniques of representation change, so do the
passions we associate with politics. It’s still uncertain at this point
how much of the new techniques can renew the vocabulary, procedures and
feelings necessary for a political life.