[Reader-list] The Missing Personal law

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 10:11:41 IST 2005

Quoting from Mahmoods splendidly written article-
quote
-----------------------------
"Demanding an immediate reform of the process through
 which Qazis make the kinds of decisions that we have
 been lately witnessing, (and this still begs the
 question of what gives them the sanction to do so)
 is  not the same as demanding a Uniform Civil Code.
The  latter involves streamlining a much greater
variety  of  customary, ritualistic, caste-based and
 inheritance-related practices by an entire gamut of
 communities-regional, caste, fraternity,
brotherhoods. I am not sure this homogenizing sweep is
entirely necessary either. The gleeful
Shariah-bashers, however, should remember that gender
oppression is a  universal phenomenon although it
seems more  conspicuous and repugnant in the other"
unquote
I think this paragraph says it all. This is where the
movement should be directed at. Peeps sitting in the
MPLB and panchayats are not as much concerned in the
divinity or immutability of the laws, but their power
to have the final say on it.If that power can be
vested in judiciary and magistrates who are scholars
of Islamic law decide on their interpretations,it will
be a great step ahead. There are examples how in a
misogynistic society Islamic laws which protect female
rights have been twisted. Meher is an example. There
is a general trend in which "good" muslim women are
expected to forego meher,though it is against the
islamic law.
It will be a great if we can channelize our energies
in either abolition of PLB, make it just a consulting
body or allow appeals against its decision.All the
ethical debates of the necessity of a personal law can
go on later.

regards
Rahul

--- mahmood farooqui <mahmoodfarooqui at yahoo.com>